Who's done that ?

Started by Seth, March 02, 2009, 07:39:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Confusoid on March 04, 2009, 03:18:16 AM
That makes no sense. The purpose of a translucent surface is it is supposed to allow light to transport through it without being entirely clear. Is there any way to fix this?

The translucent surface is beneath the normal surface, so it makes sense.
Unless I understood it incorrectly.

Confusoid

If this is the case the how does one make the translucent surface on top of the surface of the object rather then beneath it?

Real quick here is a test render i made in Vue 6 using translucency. The edges where the thinner density can be scene there is some light passing through. I would think it would behave the same way using Terragen 2's translucency.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Confusoid on March 04, 2009, 06:24:02 AM
If this is the case the how does one make the translucent surface on top of the surface of the object rather then beneath it?

If there's a 100% opaque layer on TOP of a translucent surface then you won't see anything of the translucent layer.
Same goes for any type of layer.

I don't understand your point/question I'm afraid. Creating a surface on top of the surface of the object has to be done like anything else.
Just connect the output of the latest shader to the input of the translucent shader.

Confusoid

I do understand about the opaque layer being on top but i had the translucent shader on top of my surface. I will try again and see what i can do. Maybe i am missing the obvious.    ;D

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Confusoid on March 04, 2009, 07:45:18 AM
I do understand about the opaque layer being on top but i had the translucent shader on top of my surface. I will try again and see what i can do. Maybe i am missing the obvious.    ;D

Hmmm...if so then it would be a bit strange, but could also depend heavily on the settings you're using.
If you keep having problems you could ask Ryan self or perhaps post a tgd here to illustrate.

Martin

Confusoid

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on March 04, 2009, 08:15:10 AM
Hmmm...if so then it would be a bit strange, but could also depend heavily on the settings you're using.
If you keep having problems you could ask Ryan self or perhaps post a tgd here to illustrate.

Martin

I will gladly post my tgd here. Also when i turn down the opacity using the default shader below .50 the shaders disappear were as i'd think the shaders should be 50% opacity rather then disappearing entirely.

RArcher

Here is the file, perhaps it will be of some help.

Seth

rcallicotte

Wow.  Cool, guys.  Thanks so much. 
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Confusoid

Nifty, thank you kindly.

Oshyan

Translucency is not "real" translucency in TG2 at this point. The only way to get truly transparent/translucent objects with volume is to use the Water Shader, for now.

- Oshyan

Confusoid

Well, that would explain a lot then. Thank you for the clarification. 

Mohawk20

I decided to try my own  ideas on this, using the water shader with high density for 'volume 1' (with a powerfractal plugged in of course  ;)). This is just the 'Planet 1' object, resized to a diameter of 100 and with a powerfractal and compute terrain for displacement and a water shader as only surface shader.

For a first try it's pretty good IMO, but I'll try to tweak it a bit and see what happens.

(I increased exposure of the bmp output in post, but result is result right?)
Howgh!

GioMez

Mohawk20

Second test below. Decreased displacement roughness and decay distance, increased volume density.

Third test rendering now, with the same settings changed further...
Howgh!