Semi-procedural Canyon

Started by Tangled-Universe, March 03, 2009, 01:51:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Mohawk20 on March 05, 2009, 05:30:51 AM
Are you using a texture based surface? Sometimes the texture on the outcrops looks like it's a piece of paper, cut off with scissors.

What is that? ;)

The edges are kind of warped and depending on the pov some edges may appear very very sharp, as you can see. It's just a matter of the angle of the cliffs in regard to the camera, or vice versa.

rcallicotte

I think maybe Mohawk was wondering if you're using images for the texturing.  At least, this is what I was wondering.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: calico on March 05, 2009, 08:36:55 AM
I think maybe Mohawk was wondering if you're using images for the texturing.  At least, this is what I was wondering.

I know he meant that :) By saying "what is that? ;)" I was making a joke :p
I've been here for quite some time and most of the guys (and girls?) here know I'm TG-purist, especially you should also know Calico ;) lol
So for the sake of clarity: no images/maps or whatsoever...pure TG ;D

Martin

rcallicotte

GEEZ!  Really?  FANTASTIC!!!

I should have known better.   :-[
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Mohawk20

I got the joke TU, no worries.
And it's interesting behavior of the displacements (since they're not image maps  ;)). One would expect that the small displacements make outcrops of their own on the edges. Unless you used a very cruel method of confining the edges...
Howgh!

inkydigit

very interesting work here....methinks I might have to try this method.....thanks for sharing!

choronr

Martin, would it be possible to add 'talus' to the lower part of the canyon walls? It would seem that water then would make a better transition with the terrain. This of course would require some slight stratification.

Bob

buzzzzz1

Hi Martin,

Your displacements are really good here. I agree with Bob about the talus especially if you are going to offer this for sale as a tech-pack. With that I think it would be a big seller.

Cheers  :)
XFX 750i SLI  nFORCE Mobo
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz Wolfdale
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
Nvidia GForce 9600 GSO 768 MB
XP Pro 64 bit OS

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: buzzzzz1 on March 10, 2009, 09:55:31 AM
Hi Martin,

Your displacements are really good here. I agree with Bob about the talus especially if you are going to offer this for sale as a tech-pack. With that I think it would be a big seller.

I'm working really hard on this and I've made the rocksurfaces way better, but I'm running into some serious issues regarding displacement-render-errors etc. I hope to have these fixed soon and then I'll concentrate on getting a nice talus.
I'm not familiar with the term "Talus" by the way, but I think you mean it is a kind of smooth part at the bottom of the canyon which blends smoothly into the vertical surfaces. Kind of?

Martin

buzzzzz1

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on March 10, 2009, 10:37:57 AM
Hi Martin,

I'm working really hard on this and I've made the rocksurfaces way better, but I'm running into some serious issues regarding displacement-render-errors etc. I hope to have these fixed soon and then I'll concentrate on getting a nice talus.
I'm not familiar with the term "Talus" by the way, but I think you mean it is a kind of smooth part at the bottom of the canyon which blends smoothly into the vertical surfaces. Kind of?

Martin

I'm sure you are.  Yes Talus as Bob referred to is basically materials that have fallen to the bottom of rock faces over centuries creating these transitions from Horizontal to Vertical. Not the best way to put it, but hey, I'm not a Geologist.  ;) Attached is a sample I found on Google.

8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
XP Pro 64 bit OS

nvseal

For a second there buzz I was about to jump out of my chair.  ;D

buzzzzz1

Quote from: nvseal on March 10, 2009, 12:53:38 PM
For a second there buzz I was about to jump out of my chair.  ;D

LOL.....Sorry to Startle you, I only wish! 
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
XP Pro 64 bit OS

choronr

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on March 10, 2009, 10:37:57 AM
Hi Martin,

Martin
Hi Martin,

A description and picture of 'Talus' (also called 'Scree') can be seen here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scree . Hope this helps.

Bob

Tangled-Universe

Thanks Jay & Bob, very useful :)

Tangled-Universe

First concept of adding Talus-like structures...
Now you see the base of the canyon...naked huh :P

Martin