Bump Maps...Use?

Started by bobbystahr, January 22, 2007, 11:14:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

Here's a really dumb question. I was just reading another thread where the poster mentioned applying texture and bump maps to an obj....well how the heck do you control and use bumps....a network screen grab of a ter or obj loaded with just a colour and bump map applied would go a long way in explaining this to dumb ol me...LOL
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

§ardine

I haven't messed around with adding bump maps to objects yet but I have added color to them.
maybe this will get you started:

Add your object and select it in the objects list on the top left of TG2. The "edit the internal network of this node" button (circled below) will show you the network seen to the right. opening up the "Material" node will give you options to edit the properties you are looking for.

[attach=#1]

What we have been told is that any displacement added to objects needs to be very small other wise it causes problems. I also recommend that you save your .obj as a .tgo format in TG2 and add the new format instead of the .obj for stability reasons.

A search of this forum should answer most of your question though on adding shaders to your object.

hope this helps (I'm not the best at being clear)  ;D

bobbystahr

Think I gotcha...know bout the internal network, just haven't explored it much yet....but I understand displacement=bump?...so bump is an irrelavant thought as smart displacement will give the mesh effect whereas bump doesn't distort the mesh, just the way it uses light info.Thanx and if I'm way off base pleeeease correct me...LOL...it'll help with my renders which are a bit confused at the 'mo
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

§ardine

this might help as well:

Quote from: Oshyan on January 10, 2007, 09:02:47 PM
This is a problem we're aware of. Using displacement on objects can be problematic and is largely recommended against at this time. If you use very small values to get a more bump map-like effect it works well, but major displacement of imported objects is inconsistent at best. This will be improved in the future.

- Oshyan

rcallicotte

Use displacement for your bump maps.

Quote from: bobbystahr on January 22, 2007, 11:14:10 AM
Here's a really dumb question. I was just reading another thread where the poster mentioned applying texture and bump maps to an obj....well how the heck do you control and use bumps....a network screen grab of a ter or obj loaded with just a colour and bump map applied would go a long way in explaining this to dumb ol me...LOL
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

bobbystahr

Many thanks all...clear now....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Oshyan

Quote from: bobbystahr on January 22, 2007, 02:17:58 PM
Think I gotcha...know bout the internal network, just haven't explored it much yet....but I understand displacement=bump?...so bump is an irrelavant thought as smart displacement will give the mesh effect whereas bump doesn't distort the mesh, just the way it uses light info.Thanx and if I'm way off base pleeeease correct me...LOL...it'll help with my renders which are a bit confused at the 'mo

Correct, TG2 doesn't currently support "bump mapping", but displacement can generally do anything bump mapping can do and more. The results are usually more realistic because there is actual dimension there. As others have said the displacement support for objects is currently limited in that meshes can break apart if the displacement is too extreme, but you normally won't want large values anyway for realistic results.

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

Indeed they will break...but as with sugar, a little is often enough.. ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

rcallicotte

For my mech, I use only .05 on the Displacement and it seems to be enough.

§ardine

hey thanks calico, I was wondering what settings you used for that.
~§ardine

Volker Harun

It occured to me yesterday evening.

Though knowing the issue of placing displacements on imported objects, I gave it a try.

First, I created a nice cube in Cinema4D, exported it, loaded in TGTP and resaved as tgo.
Loaded this tgo and any displacement killed the mesh.

Then ...
... I started to play around. Stirring and shaking the nodes  ;D ;D ;D

Well, as soon as I put into the shader of the mesh the Base-colour-shader, the displacements worked. Even hard displacements.
But only on the upper side of the cube.

This might be, because I deleted the multishader of the mesh, but dunno.
It was time to go to bed then ... but maybe somone wants to give it try or two!?!

Volker Harun  8) 8) 8)

Ogre

Take a look at my Nautilus model.  I used displacement with no real issues.

http://www.ashundar.com/list.php?c=models
"If you find me feeding daisies
please turn my face up to the sky and leave me be watching the moon roll by.
What ever I was it was all because I've been on the town washing the BS down."

-Gordon Lightfoot

§ardine

Hey Volker,
Just wondering if you would mind posting an example of what you are talking about here. ;D

rcallicotte

§ardine

Quote from: calico on February 24, 2007, 11:39:44 PM
http://www.ashundar.com/CPG/displayimage.php?pos=-3629
http://www.ashundar.com/CPG/displayimage.php?pos=-3684

Some examples of a displacement map with default shader.

thanks calico, I guess I should have been a little more specific in my request :D
here's the quote from Volker that I was curious about:

Quote from: Volker Harun on February 23, 2007, 08:27:31 AM
Well, as soon as I put into the shader of the mesh the Base-colour-shader, the displacements worked. Even hard displacements.

I was wondering Volker, what exactly did you use to get this displacement?
You said you were able to get "hard displacements" This sounds pretty significant!
"Base-color-shader"? I'm either blind or not sure what you're saying... ;D
I would be interested in a bit more of an explanation or a clip of this if you might be so kind 8)

thanks,
-Sardine