50% Render speed decrease

Started by Mohawk20, April 10, 2009, 11:53:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mohawk20

In the thread about render speed of the new version I mentioned that my animation takes twice as long to render a frame with the new build.

This post has a screenshot of windows explorer which shows the times taken in the old and new version. I just rendered a frame that was faster with the old build, and it rendered in 1:52 hours, which is consistent for the new build.

The post also has the tgd attached, and I was wondering if anyone (like Oshyan  ;)) could give me any news regarding this.
Howgh!

Tangled-Universe

I downloaded the tgd, however I do not have the animation module I did render the first frame in 20 minutes.
If you can make a tgd of the frame where the huge increase in rendertime occurs then I can render and compare it again.

Martin

Mohawk20

It's not a frame issue... it's a build issue.
Try rendering that first frame in the new gold build, and the last beta build, and tell me what the difference in render time is.
Howgh!

PG

You do seem to be having some real problems don't you. What processor model do you have? Also are you able to whack a different OS onto another hard drive or something?
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Mohawk20 on April 10, 2009, 01:34:54 pm
It's not a frame issue... it's a build issue.
Try rendering that first frame in the new gold build, and the last beta build, and tell me what the difference in render time is.



I'm aware of that. I expected longer render-times if it was a build issue. 20 minutes seems ok to me, but if it is way less with the beta then it is indeed a build-issue.
Hang on...I'll render it with the beta...

Tangled-Universe

April 10, 2009, 02:45:44 pm #5 Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 02:48:26 pm by Tangled-Universe
21 minutes and 5 seconds... So the 2.0.1.1 is a tad bit faster.

To me it seems it is not a build issue then.
I'm not familiar to what extend you can animate parameters, but perhaps you accidentially enabled something from a certain frame which is responsible for the increase in rendertime?

Mohawk20

I wonder what kind of pc you have TU... ;)
I rendered the first frames in about 30 minutes, and later on that gradually became 50 minutes as the camera gets closer to the planet.

But without changing any setting I saved, installed the upgrade, loaded, entered new starting frame number and rendered again. Now all the frames take exactly an hour longer, so almost 2 hours. I re-rendered one of the 'faster' frames, frame 2174 (I upgraded at frame 2176), and it took as long as all the other frames I rendered with the gold version. So forget a frame issue, nothing changed there.

It's either a bug in the software (in the '+ Animation' version), or in my pc... the latter is also a good possibility of course  ;)

So if anyone can render frame 2174 (or a sequence from 2170 to 2180) with both the beta and the gold build and tell me the results, I'd be a step further in solving this.
Howgh!

PG

Do you have a link to the old beta build? I've got deep + animation.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Mohawk20 on April 10, 2009, 02:57:18 pm
I wonder what kind of pc you have TU... ;)
I rendered the first frames in about 30 minutes, and later on that gradually became 50 minutes as the camera gets closer to the planet.

But without changing any setting I saved, installed the upgrade, loaded, entered new starting frame number and rendered again. Now all the frames take exactly an hour longer, so almost 2 hours. I re-rendered one of the 'faster' frames, frame 2174 (I upgraded at frame 2176), and it took as long as all the other frames I rendered with the gold version. So forget a frame issue, nothing changed there.

It's either a bug in the software (in the '+ Animation' version), or in my pc... the latter is also a good possibility of course  ;)

So if anyone can render frame 2174 (or a sequence from 2170 to 2180) with both the beta and the gold build and tell me the results, I'd be a step further in solving this.


For the moment 'just' a Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz and 8GB RAM...am saving money for an i7 though...
Anyhow, I see your point.
That the rendertime increases over getting closer to the planet is logical of course, but that extra hour is indeed strange. If it is a hardware-problem then frame 2174 would also take long, don't you think so?

Is there a way for you to create 2 tgd's for me? One of frame 2174 and one from frame ~2180. I'd be happy to test them for you.

I'm thinking that when getting closer to the planet you'll reach a certain threshold for detail (or whatever) which suddenly could increase rendertime. Can't really describe my thoughts well, but it *could* all be correct, sadly.

Quote from: PG on April 10, 2009, 03:36:07 pm
Do you have a link to the old beta build? I've got deep + animation.


If you keep your e-mails then you should have still have it.

Mohawk20

April 10, 2009, 05:14:26 pm #9 Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 07:49:07 pm by Oshyan
I have the tgd of the save in between upgrade, at frame 2177 (attached).

If you render it in both versions and notice no big difference, I hope PG can find something...
PG, does this work for you?

The Free Non-Commercial Edition of Terragen 2 Beta:
http://www.planetside.co.uk/terragen/downloads/Terragen2BetaFree110231.shtml

Terragen 2 Technology Preview 5 (Build 1.9.99.1):
Edit by Mod - LINK REMOVED - DO NOT POST PUBLIC LINKS TO REGISTERED VERSIONS

And the system I'm running this animation on is an AMD Athlon 64 x2 4600+ with 2 GB RAM.
Howgh!

RArcher

Hey Mohawk,

I rendered frame 2174 in both versions.

Final: 31:19

Beta: 20:54

Hope this helps you narrow it down.

Mohawk20

Hmm, so that means that the beta was faster in this planetary render...

But you had a 150% increase, I had 210%... maybe it's time to check my pc.
Shut down, reinstall, stuff like that.


Thanks!
Howgh!

Oshyan

OK, I've just tested this on the last 4 versions, the Beta, an unreleased RC1, the Final, and the upcoming 2.0.2.1 update. I was able to confirm that the original Beta rendered it a good deal faster, but you'll be happy to know it does appear that the next update somehow resolves it. Here are the full details:

Q6600 2.4Ghz 4 cores
8GB RAM

23m54s - 1.10.23.1 (Beta)
34m27s - 2.0.0.1 (RC1)
35m01s - 2.0.1.1 (Final)
23m22s - 2.0.2.1 (forthcoming update)

So it seems things are back to normal, and the terrain gap bug is also fixed. Hopefully other people who have seen speed increases will not lose them with the update. ;)

- Oshyan

Mohawk20

Good news!

Thanks for testing. I do think it's time for me to start saving money for a faster system though...  ;) Sadly that would be systems, because my other pc has just about the same specs. So it's gonna take  while before I can fully upgrade...
Howgh!

Oshyan

The nice thing is you can keep the old ones around as render systems. ;D

- Oshyan