The Landing *V4* and Final

Started by FrankB, April 15, 2009, 09:13:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

Hi Frank,

Compared to the first one I think the second has better scales etc. It's more obvious to the eye now how the depth in this image is being built up.
However, to emphasize this I think you could change the lighting a bit. Although the *lack of* shadows (I just call it like this just the easy way) is very realistic and natural I think it makes the image appear a bit "flat". I don't really know how to put it in words, sorry.
The depth added by the water (nice settings!) is very good. Nice boat also, like those small details which are not too present.
The fake stones are really cool and the sand looks good. In the background it seems like there are sandpatches being "lifted" compared to the fake stones. So, I guess you used intersect underlying for the sand-layer? Or is it just fractal detail from the terrain?

Martin

Mohawk20

Just curious, but what is the reason the island is so bare? What are the meteorological/biological reasons?
And why do the palm trees grow so dense together? Should there be a bit more undergrowth in the 'forest'?

It seems to me the palm trees are just sticking out of the sand, while I remember that an oasis or beach with palms always had grass and small plants around the trees (definitely grass at least).

Just making sure everything is right (if you're going for realism that is)...
Howgh!

FrankB

Martin: it's difficult to get any shadows support the impression of depth in this frontal light, in combination with the slopes leaning away. My thought was that the tree objects could help with that, but apparently that's not sufficient either :-)
I am not quite sure which parts seem lifted that have referred to, but I think it's a combination of strata layers and the slope constraint sand that could create such an impression.

Mohawk: You are right with the density of trees. There are places (parks) where the palms grow very dense, but they are artificially watered places. Unless there's a sweet water well somewere further up, and a little "river" would be flowing into the sea, the palms should not be so dense. Lastly, I don't know the reason why the canary islands, especially Fuerteventura, are so dry.

Frank

Mohawk20

Quote from: FrankB on April 15, 2009, 05:20:59 PM
I don't know the reason why the canary islands, especially Fuerteventura, are so dry.

Frank

Ah, that could either be due to the volcanic origin of the island (though volcanic ground is usually very fertile) in combination with the lack of fresh water, or because of the close proximity to the Sahara and the high temperatures (15 deg. C in winter to 30 deg. C in summer).
That would at least explain all the sand on your island, blown there from the desert.

Do you have any reference images of Fuerteventura that you use?
Howgh!

FrankB

Quote from: Mohawk20 on April 16, 2009, 03:25:38 AM
Do you have any reference images of Fuerteventura that you use?

no, I'm not using one. I have been there many times, though. So it's in my head. :-)

Frank

Mohawk20

Ah, should be good enough... :D
Howgh!

Hetzen

I like the new POV, and the water looks better ;)

I don't realy have the scale issue others are expressing. The scree looks incredibly realistic.

I had a look for some images of the island, and you're right, there's not a lot growing there. The only thing I can add, is some variation in the sand/dust/dirt colours...

http://home.iae.nl/users/termaten/images/lanzarote/fuerteventura.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/99/Fuerteventura_kueste2_750px.jpg

http://simflight.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/simgiants-fuerteventura.jpg

http://www.canaryventura.com/myPictures/fuerteventura+029.jpg

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

FrankB

Hi guys,

So this is version 3 and it has changed a lot. Actually this has been rendered already a week ago, but I couldn't upload it when I left.
I'm still not 100% satisfied with a few details, but I thought I'd share anyway to say I'm back again from my week long TG2 absence.

Cheers,
Frank

Seth

love your fake stones !!!
the left part is really amazing.
good job

Kevin F

A few grass tufts are growing out of the stones and I'm not that keen on the over bright horizon area. Otherwise! a wonderful render.

Naoo

Hi

Excellent! Echt klasse Frank!

ciao
Naoo

Mohawk20

Very very nice!!
Great POV, and I like the distance of the ship. This fits together so much better!
Howgh!

schmeerlap

Yeh, I like this latest one (just needs a polarizing or gradient filter on that lens to bring out the clouds on that overexposed sky).

John
I hope I realise I don't exist before I apparently die.

Hetzen

Really nice composition. Just need a load of kelp on the shore line, limpets and muscles on the rocks, and.....just kidding. Great work.