Terrain within the planet if delete default heightfield

Started by reck, May 01, 2009, 09:43:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reck

If you delete the default heightfield shader 01/heightfield generate 01 node under the terrain tab you can no longer create terrains by clicking the Add terrain button. This is the case for a new heightfield or a new procedural terrain (powerfractal).

On further inspection it appears that although no terrains are appearing on the terrain list the nodes are being added but they are appearing within the planet 01 shader instead of getting attached to the compute terrain node within the terrain group.

As I tend to use procedural landscapes rather than heightfields I would like to make my default project open with no terrain and then I can either add a procedural terrain as normal or choose a heightfield if I need to  but due to the above issue I am unable to do this. Also I imagine its confusing for users when they delete the default heightfield  and the add terrain button seems to stop working.

neuspadrin

They get added to the node network, but they are way off somewhere else on the node network view, and dont attach themselves to compute terrain, which is how tg2 finds out what to consider terrain.

You can usually only find them in node network by browsing for their name in the box of all shaders listed, and then try to move/reattach them.

I've noticed this before, and since then I've sorta just subconcisously always added terrain and then deleted it.  Forgot about it to report on here.

reck

Quote from: neuspadrin on May 01, 2009, 09:54:28 AM
They get added to the node network, but they are way off somewhere else on the node network view, and dont attach themselves to compute terrain, which is how tg2 finds out what to consider terrain.

Yep they get added within the planet node instead of within the terrain group node.

Quote from: neuspadrin on May 01, 2009, 09:54:28 AM
You can usually only find them in node network by browsing for their name in the box of all shaders listed, and then try to move/reattach them.

yeah I have to move them out of the planet node and put them within the terrain group node.

Oshyan

This is a known bug that needs to be fixed. I'll try to get it into the next update (that will be fixing the Ctrl-C/V commands). That update may not be available for a few weeks as the fixes aren't critical.

In the meantime, you should be able to create a Power Fractal before you delete your heightfield, *then* delete the heightfield node and you ought to be able to create subsequent terrains after that. You could also save the version with just the Power Fractal and make it your default, and you will then be able to add additional power fractals on top of it without this error.

- Oshyan

reck

Quote from: Oshyan on May 01, 2009, 11:28:26 PM
This is a known bug that needs to be fixed. I'll try to get it into the next update (that will be fixing the Ctrl-C/V commands). That update may not be available for a few weeks as the fixes aren't critical.

In the meantime, you should be able to create a Power Fractal before you delete your heightfield, *then* delete the heightfield node and you ought to be able to create subsequent terrains after that. You could also save the version with just the Power Fractal and make it your default, and you will then be able to add additional power fractals on top of it without this error.

- Oshyan

Nice to know its on the fix list. For now i'll do as you suggest and add a power fractal instead to the default project.

Thanks