Explorers - NWDA Contest Final

Started by darthvader, May 19, 2009, 06:54:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hetzen

I like where you're going with this. Got to say that reflections and low level clouds = render time x render time. I wonder if a couple of passes and compositing would be more efficient?

darthvader

Another update that I've neglected to put up since I've been working on my history paper...but now that paper=done, here it is. I'm thinking of either reducing the scale of the grass or moving the camera closer to the ground so that the camera would be looking just over the tops of the blades.

http://gannaingh32.deviantart.com/art/Explorers-WIP-123058917

P.S. Sorry about doing this whole link to deviantart thingy but I like it when people see my art there ;D

P.P.S. I should have another update when I wake up...if my computer cooperates...

Seth

rcallicotte

This looks like a scene from a movie.  Excellent work.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

dwilson

darthvader

Another update. This is three seperate crop renders stitched together, as you can see terragen is giving me problems and stops rendering every time it says "An unknown error occured in TraceRay" ...whatever that means. However, I am going to get this image done because I like it, even if it takes 16 crop renders to do it.

Now that my rant is done... really like how the ships are turning out, they look much better than I would have expected from such undetailed models. The midground needs some nice bushes and rocks to fillin the space between the water and the trees.

Seth

that's going to be a very good one man !

Oshyan

Likely you're running into memory issues. Are you rendering on a quad core? 64 bit system? What are your render buffer settings?

- Oshyan

darthvader

Unfortunately my system is neither a qyad core or a 64 bit system :'(  have the subdivision cache set at 300 mb running on two threads. Since that last image  have reduced the number of trees in the background which so far seems to have helped, though the real test will come when I do a more complete renders.

Oshyan

You can (and probably should) reduce cache even further. With 2 threads I think you could make it as low as 100MB, and that will help with memory issues, even though it may increase render time a bit.

- Oshyan

darthvader

Another update; the background is mostly finished so though the trees on the left need to have their specularity played with. Also I am probably going ot ncrease the haze density to make the mountain in the background seem more imposing/mysterious. So now to work on the forground!

FrankB

Seth

I second Frank on this one !!!
great job so far !

darthvader

domdib

This is really beginning to look epic. One minor point - I know you spoke about having to work in crops, and I couldn't help noticing  that from the leftmost ship across to the shore, there's what seems to be a faint light brown cast in a straight line from about the middle of the mast to the water. Is that a crop-related issue?