Explorers - NWDA Contest Final

Started by darthvader, May 19, 2009, 06:54:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankB

wow Martin, you're pushing it far here ;)
I think there is not much to improve anymore. Unless, of course, it's desired, but I read the thread title said "final".

Cheers,
Frank

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: FrankB on June 23, 2009, 05:42:01 PM
wow Martin, you're pushing it far here ;)
I think there is not much to improve anymore. Unless, of course, it's desired, but I read the thread title said "final".

Cheers,
Frank

True, but I think when you can make it like this so far it won't be too difficult to add some extra elements.
Regarding the suggestion on render-settings, that's a different story and really dependent on current rendertimes.
Like I said it's already good. So perhaps one should consider it rather a wish than a suggestion :)

darthvader

Thanks for the comments everybody! I called it a final since I'm heading down to Peru on July 1st and I won't be back in time for the end of the competition, but I'll probably (will) continue to work on it until I leave.

@TU/: the render time was only about 30 hours, down a lot from the 120+ it took before I got rid of a pesky reflective shader on the rocks that were hanging things up. The render settings were
detail: .8
AA: 8
GI: 1/2
so I'll probably increase those a bit and play around a bit more, thanks for the suggestions :)

@Seth: Yep, that is a dead tree floating in the water, increasing the GI like TU suggested wll probably help make that clearer. Also, I see the lines in the water now that you've mentioned it, thanks for spotting that :)

MacGyver

I still can't see the lines ;D Call me blind 8)
90 hours simply because a reflective shader? I think that's tough! :o
My kudos again for your work, it's perfect from my POV and I think it can only get better with Martin's advice! :)
What you wish to kindle in others must burn within yourself. - Augustine

Falcon

Wow, this is certainly one of the most amazing renders I've seen so far. Excellent work, great artistic setup and composition. I really like this.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: darthvader on June 23, 2009, 07:40:19 PM
Thanks for the comments everybody! I called it a final since I'm heading down to Peru on July 1st and I won't be back in time for the end of the competition, but I'll probably (will) continue to work on it until I leave.

@TU/: the render time was only about 30 hours, down a lot from the 120+ it took before I got rid of a pesky reflective shader on the rocks that were hanging things up. The render settings were
detail: .8
AA: 8
GI: 1/2
so I'll probably increase those a bit and play around a bit more, thanks for the suggestions :)

@Seth: Yep, that is a dead tree floating in the water, increasing the GI like TU suggested wll probably help make that clearer. Also, I see the lines in the water now that you've mentioned it, thanks for spotting that :)

Hmm...still 30 hours though...so you better not crank things up too much.
I'd say: increase GI to 1/3 and maybe add a very weak fill light @ ~0.1 strength. Then do a crop render of the boat with ray detail region padding feature set to cropped area and @ at least 1. This should give a fairly accurate result compared to the final.
Most bang for bucks to me is GI 2/4, but that will add too much rendertime I think.

Did you use a raytraced reflectionshader earlier? I'm surprised by the huge decrease in rendertime.

Martin

MacGyver

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on June 24, 2009, 09:20:21 AM
Most bang for bucks to me is GI 2/4, but that will add too much rendertime I think.

Thank you for sharing this info :D
What you wish to kindle in others must burn within yourself. - Augustine

FrankB

Quote from: darthvader on June 23, 2009, 07:40:19 PM

So what should I do now? Take the image from deviantart as your entry, or wait?

Thanks,
Frank

darthvader

Sorry for not getting it to you earlier Frank, I had some unexpected computer trouble so I haven't been able to get it to you until now.

This is it! The final for the contest...although I may come back to it since it was pretty fun to create.

http://gannaingh32.deviantart.com/art/Explorers-WIP-123058917

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Tangled-Universe

Neat work :D Very nice entry, thank you!

Martin

Seth