TG Classic Remake ¤ NWDA Contest WIP ¤

Started by Mohawk20, May 21, 2009, 05:07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

domdib

If other threads are anything to go by, it seems that there is no embargo on advice from NWDA - I get the impression that they are more concerned to get some really good images :)

FrankB

indeed, that's the best part of the whole contest idea!

Seth

Quote from: domdib on May 28, 2009, 05:20:37 PM
I get the impression that they are more concerned to get some really good images :)

That's the point ! ^^

Oshyan

I'd say there's no question that AA3 is your problem. 8-12 would be a lot better in a vegetation scene like this. You might not even need detail of 1 with higher AA settings. Also take a look at the antialiasing filter you're using...

- Oshyan

Mohawk20

I'm using the Narrow Cubic filter. I find that it has the best mix between sharp and soft. At least, as far as I can remember...
Howgh!

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Mohawk20 on May 29, 2009, 04:00:24 AM
I'm using the Narrow Cubic filter. I find that it has the best mix between sharp and soft. At least, as far as I can remember...

Agree, I like MN too though.
Looking at your POV you might even try to render the entire bottom with cubic b-spline (if that's too soft, simply reduce AA 2 steps) and then render the background with your favorite AA filter.

But, unfortunately this is not according to the contest rules I realize now. Anyhow, I'd like to share these thoughts for possible future stuff then :)

Martin

Mohawk20

I'd like to render the image period...
Problem is, since I increased AA I suddenly get the 'Unknown error in render thread' message. Twice, so both cores stopped rendering while the image isn't even halfway finished.

Not funny!
Howgh!

RArcher

Try reducing your Subdiv Cache to 200, if that doesn't work, go down to 100.  You will likely get a warning when you change it that low, but you can ignore it.

buzzzzz1

XFX 750i SLI  nFORCE Mobo
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz Wolfdale
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
Nvidia GForce 9600 GSO 768 MB
XP Pro 64 bit OS

FrankB

buzzzz, this is no problem. The purpose of the postwork limitation was to prevent that you add things to the render, such as postwork the photograph of a house or a person into the image, for example.
Common sense tells me that stiching crops of a scene together is not against the original purpose of the contest rule.

Regards,
Frank

Seth

you're fast Frank ! damn fast... you killed my post even before i hit the "Post" button ^^

buzzzzz1

Quote from: FrankB on May 29, 2009, 12:30:26 PM
buzzzz, this is no problem. The purpose of the postwork limitation was to prevent that you add things to the render, such as postwork the photograph of a house or a person into the image, for example.
Common sense tells me that stiching crops of a scene together is not against the original purpose of the contest rule.

Regards,
Frank

Just as I figured Frank. Common Sense is not so common. I just thought since Martin was one of the Judges that perhaps his comment had some merit? No disrespect intended Martin.

XFX 750i SLI  nFORCE Mobo
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz Wolfdale
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
Nvidia GForce 9600 GSO 768 MB
XP Pro 64 bit OS

FrankB

bear with us, we're doing this for the first time ;)
... like we are doing a whole lot of things for the first time lately... just occurred to me. :)

I am looking forward to your entry, Jay. Are you going to post a glimpse of it here before the contest deadline?

Cheers,
Frank

Tangled-Universe

I confess, I confess :) I was mistaken and couldn't make it online to fix it in time, my apologies!

Martin

Mohawk20

Alright, back to topic!
For some reason the bottom tiles/buckets simply won't render...

I've lowered the subdiv cache even more, and pre allocated it, but still got 'unknown error in render thread' messages.
It's the grass y area, so maybe the grass pop quality is simply too high.
Howgh!