Woman of Khazlaneeb - unnatural formation

Started by Woodyp, June 07, 2009, 10:03:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodyp

Hi..
I thought I would have a go at incorporating an 'unnatural' formation into a natural environment.. Some slight contrast & colour adjustments were made in Paint Shop Pro.

I got Terragen 2 a couple of months ago but only really just started using it... finding it quite tricky at the mo lol (not even touched oblects yet), so ALL opinions, tips, suggestions welcomed (Yes I know her head is too 'skull-like' .. maybe I'll work on that a bit).

Thanks

DaveC

That is pretty cool a great way to add specific formations to a scene.  Can you explain how you did it?

PG

Be funny if there was an airstrip *somewhere* there. ;D
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

Woodyp

PG -  :) .. perhaps with a plane landing too..?

DaveC - I probably done it the long winded way cos I only really just started having a go at it.. but this is (briefly) how I did it.

1 -I created a greyscale image (see jpeg version below) in paint shop pro, saved it as an .rgb file and opened it in Terragen 1.9
2 -In T1.9 I adjusted the high/low points to 250/-300 and saved the terrain only (.ter)
3 -Opened T2 and added a power fractal terrain... and then added the .ter file with hightfield load
4 -Played about with the power factal settings a little and added some shaders.
5 -Saved the render as a bmp file.

Thats about it really.. aprt from opening it PSP & adjusting a colours etc. As I said I only just starting to use T2 so its probably the very long way round.. but its the easiest way I found so far...

If anybody with a bit more knowledge... or anyone at all really..  has ago (either using the greyscale woman image below or thier own) I would be keen to see the result... I'll probably learn something..

Thanks

MacGyver

Will you post the original that served for your terrain? ;D

Nice idea, brings a bit of... flavour to TG ;)
What you wish to kindle in others must burn within yourself. - Augustine

Hetzen

And there was me thinking you'd hacked into the CIA and stolen some dem data from mars. Nice idea with the concept.

I think you can use a heightfield from shader, then hook up an image shader, with a camera looking straight down positioned at the same x/z of your heightfield, but the y needs to be higher. Something like that.

dandelO

Nice formation! ;)

I did this with displaced terrain and a greyscale image of a hand. It was for the LOTR contest a few months back here, the hand-land was wearing the One Ring and it had trees, beaches etc. all over. I never posted it anywhere. If I ever get back into that hard drive I'll look it out as I was having fun with it.

aymenk2003

Quote from: MacGyver on June 07, 2009, 03:21:11 PM
Will you post the original that served for your terrain? ;D

Nice idea, brings a bit of... flavour to TG ;)
Nice Trick...
Le peu que je sais, c'est à mon ignorance que je le dois.