CPU TEMPERATURE WHEN RENDERING

Started by Renegade26, June 09, 2009, 02:36:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renegade26

Firstly I do realise there are previous posts about this ; I just wanted to ask one specfic question and get some advice.

My desktop - The CPU, when rendering in the current (hot!) climate is around 57c

I have a core2 6700

Is this normal?

(It's 45c when Idle...)

Thanks for your advice in advance...

buzzzzz1

Hi,

Not sure what setup you are using but in most cases stock cpu fans that come with a system aren't always the best for cooling under stressful situations such as rendering with TG where it uses 100 % cpu.  It's a good idea to blow the dust out of the cpu fans heatsink regularly for max cooling efficiency. Also if you are mechanically inclined a more efficient cooling fan replacement is hardly ever a bad investment for cooling your cpu and longer cpu life.  Zalman is my pick. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118223

Below is a screenshot of my cpu temp while running idle. When rendering it runs around 43c. Just to give you an idea.

XFX 750i SLI  nFORCE Mobo
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz Wolfdale
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
Nvidia GForce 9600 GSO 768 MB
XP Pro 64 bit OS

Renegade26

Well I have a Zalman Titanium so i'm even more worried now...I've also cleaned it for dust loads - the fan that is.

I wonder...?

buzzzzz1

I should also add, at times when my computer was in a hot environment and I couldn't afford a new cpu fan I just removed the side cover of my case and set a fan nearby blowing air towards the opening to help with circulation.
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
XP Pro 64 bit OS

Renegade26

Thats the fan I have!!  ::)

Is that the area you clean for dust or can you clean deeper???

buzzzzz1

RutRoh!  Hmmmm? Are you overclocked? Or have you checked what the voltage for your cpu should be?  Sounds like a candidate for water cooling if you are loaded with money.
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
XP Pro 64 bit OS

Renegade26

I dont think I am over clocked - the CPU says 1.29 / 1.30 volts??

buzzzzz1

Quote from: Renegade26 on June 09, 2009, 03:01:24 PM
Thats the fan I have!!  ::)

Is that the area you clean for dust or can you clean deeper???

Sounds like you already may know as much or more than myself, as the geeks we are.  ;) can't clean much deeper that the heatsink can you. I'm assuming the fan has good contact with the cpu and you properly applied good silver thermal paste?
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
XP Pro 64 bit OS

Renegade26

When you say the heatsink - do you mean the blades of the fan???

Or do I need to take the fan off to clean the heatsink (something i've never done!)

(Thanks for your help Buzz  :))

buzzzzz1

The copper fins of the heatsink not the (fan blades) can become clogged with dust preventing good air flow pulling heat off the cpu. If you run out and get some canned air with a extension you can reach into the heatsink and blow the dust out. You don't really need to remove it from your machine to blow it out. Unless you want to reapply the thermal paste.  However you may want to take your computer to the garage or outside to give it a good dusting. Don't forget to blow out the power supply as it can also overheat. Try not to touch anything in the computer unless you are grounded or you may create some static electricity and fry your machine.
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
XP Pro 64 bit OS

Renegade26

Thanks again - I'm on ebay now for some of that canned air!!

Cheers

buzzzzz1

Quote from: Renegade26 on June 09, 2009, 03:19:28 PM
Thanks again - I'm on ebay now for some of that canned air!!

Cheers

ebay? Hell go to wal*mart in the electronics section. :D
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
XP Pro 64 bit OS

Aagam

As a Mac user, heat is nothing new to me. My iMac will easily get up to 70 when rendering before the fans kick in, but that's normal. I usually keep my fans going a little faster than normal, especially my HDD fan (for some reason, HDD's run very hot on these computers, and hot HDD's are not happy). When rendering on Mac Pro's, I find the temp usually doesn't go above 45, but that's because the Mac Pro I've used is liquid cooled (which is awesome).

Honestly though, I've never had any trouble with CPU heat, even back in my PC days. It's the HDD enclosure that's always made me nervous.. I've blown at least 4 HDD's, all from heat-death :(

As others have mentioned, getting dust out of there can help tremendously. If you're in a hot climate, that can always cause increases in heat too. Here in the Canadian climate, my computer tends to run a good 5 degrees warmer in the summer months than it does in the winter (when doing nothing intensive).

rcallicotte

All kinds of fans are available at places like NewEgg and even Amazon, with reviews too.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

buzzzzz1

Quote from: calico on June 10, 2009, 08:45:02 AM
All kinds of fans are available at places like NewEgg and even Amazon, with reviews too.

Don't know if you noticed but the link I supplied is to newegg. I've done much research and this is one of the best fans out there. Or are you just posting to bump up your post total.  ;)
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
XP Pro 64 bit OS