Q: Yet another TraceRay error

Started by Sp34k, June 08, 2009, 02:05:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sp34k

Hey guys, I've been making a research here on the forum about the "TraceRay error", there's a alot of topic about this error but I couldn't find anything relevant, so here goes my problem:
I am still trying to learn TG2 and for the first time I feel like starting my own picture from the beginning, but everytime I render I get the TraceRay error..

This currect computer im using here is a:

RAM: 3GB
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16ghz
Graphic-card: Geforce 9600GT 512MB.

The picture quality settings are sat at:

Resolution: 800x600
Quality: 1
Anti-aliasing: 3
GL relative detail: 8
GL sample detail: 8
GL surface details: ON
Anti-aliasing bloom: ON
Microvertex jittering: ON
Detail jittering: ON
Ray traced shadows: ON

I know the setting are really high but I also tried to make all settings the absolut LOWEST possible, and the res at 500x300, but still the same error appears..
If it's needed for better support, then I will provide my TGD file, I don't know if it's all messed up and stuff, I'm still learning ;)

By the way, all objects isn't made by me, but downloaded from terragen.org as many of you probably already know:)
Hope to hear some idéas about what my problem could be..

The files sizes are too large to be posted so I have provided them here:

FILES REMOVED :)

PROBLEM SOLVED:

For the user who might have the same problem as me (and who don't want to read the replies), I was told to uncheck my GL surface details, and lower both my GL relative detail and GL sample detail which resultet in a MUCH faster render and no errors appearing..

Cheers,
Mike
Learning history and science, wait,
Knowing that, will that put food on my plate?
Yeah, can I walk into McDonald's, into the counter,
And tell them you can make limestone from gunpowder,
Will they give me a cheeseburger if I know that shit?

dandelO

QuoteGL relative detail: 8
GL sample detail: 8
GL surface details: ON

These settings are really, really huge. I'm not surprised you're having trouble with this scene.
The other settings seem fine to me, this GI, though... I'd never go higher than 'relative detail=3' and I'd probably use a sample quality no higher than that aswell, if 3 is for relative detail. Try a GI setting of Relative Detail=2/Sample Quality=4. That's pretty good, pretty high actually, I don't even usually go as high as that.

Also, GI surface details has been discussed a lot here. According to PS staff this is a rarely needed setting for most outdoor scenes, it's handy if you are very close to objects or ground that would need it but most scenes do not require this setting, at all. The rendertime it adds is terrible.

Sp34k

Hallo DandelO

Thanks for your reply, I sure learned something.. Because of my low knowledge I thought GI surface gave some sort of better quality on the whole picture, but thanks for explaining it..
I will try a new render with the settings you provided.. I have wrote them down so I don't make the same mistake again.. Let's hope this works ^,^

But now that I got my fingers on you, may I ask about Anti-Aliasing.. I can max set it to 3 because I haven't bought the program yet, but when I buy it, how far can it go up? And what value would be reasonable to use?

Thanks once again,
Mike

p.s. are you the one providing the Public Library vol. 1, 2, 3?

Tangled-Universe

DandelO is right about the GI, you really used insane values :)
GI 2/4 is indeed quite high but gives very good "bang for bucks" imo

The "ideal" amount of AA depends on the scene and type of detail you'd wish to show.
For example, if you have small scale and rough displacements you might not want too much AA because the small scale details can be smoothened out.

Generally I render my scenes with AA around 5-8 when I'm not using populations (trees, bushes etc.).
When using trees/bushes populations I often use AA of ~12 and sometimes up to ~15.

Keep in mind that there are different AA-filters which give different results. The cubic b-spline for example gives smooth results with lower AA settings.
Every filter has its (dis)advantages over others.

Martin

dandelO

What he said! ^^ Plus, all of the sliders in TG go beyond their maximum slide values, meaning you could go beyond the default maximum of AA=11 by typing in a higher amount. Works for all settings. ;) 6 to 8 is usually good enough for me for AA, though.

And yes, it's my public library, too.

PG

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on June 08, 2009, 05:42:43 PM
Keep in mind that there are different AA-filters which give different results. The cubic b-spline for example gives smooth results with lower AA settings.
Every filter has its (dis)advantages over others.

Martin

Yeah I always find that Catmull-Rom doesn't look good on terrain, particularly with heavy use of power fractals, Cubic B-spline is good for atmosphere but not populations, mitchell-netravali works on a suprising number of renders and I use it often, haven't managed to fault it too much yet, box and tent are more simplistic so will obviously give you rougher results which are ok for planetary views where there are few "straight lines"
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

Sp34k

Be glad non of you guys are here, because I would give you all a big kiss xD - the rendering is soon finished (1 hour!!!) I deincreased the GI relative and sample + I unchecked the GI surface details and woaw it's going much faster.. There's 3 hours difference between my previous render and this new one..

If I had a hat on I would take it off and bow.. I'm glad to recive these informations from experienced users.. But about the A-A, my maximum accessable value is 3, so im pretty limited on that one untill next month :P but from what I can understand of the different replies, then theres more than just 2 things to think about when rendering..
Like Tangled-Universe says about "Every filter has its (dis)advantages over others.", this just shows theres alot more to learn..

I'm extremly happy with all the replies I've recived, all have been helpful.. I'm very excided about how fast I render now, I'm used to spend around 10 hours on a very simple image, but now it over 50% faster, thanks guys!:)

PG

You could probably disable ray traced shadows in the cumulus layer as well. I just finished rendering it on and off and it doesn't make much difference.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

Sp34k

PG thank you for downloading the file and play around with it:) I don't know ANYTHING about atmospere yet, but I have just disabled it for (hopefully) a little faster render.. For now, it's soon finished and no errors has appearing..

This topic has turned to be a complete succes on my side!

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: PG on June 08, 2009, 06:48:44 PM
You could probably disable ray traced shadows in the cumulus layer as well. I just finished rendering it on and off and it doesn't make much difference.

You ONLY need raytracing in clouds atmo when:

Shadows are cast by terrain onto clouds --> then enable raytracing in clouds
Shadows are cast by terrain into atmosphere --> then enable raytracing in atmosphere
Shadows are cast by clouds into atmosphere and you want to emphasize them (like (god)rays) --> then enable raytracing in atmosphere

If you render a sunset with sun behind the terrain it might happen that the sun shines through the terrain, you should then also enable raytracing in the atmosphere to render it correctly. If so, it is wise to crop-render that specific part to save much rendertime.

Martin

Sp34k

Hallo there Martin

What a detailed decription, yet "easy" to understand for a rookie like me.. It would look kinda silly if the sun shines through the terrain, wouldn't make much sence :)
I was wondering, you say:

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on June 09, 2009, 05:18:26 AM
Shadows are cast by terrain into atmosphere --> then enable raytracing in atmosphere
Shadows are cast by clouds into atmosphere and you want to emphasize them (like (god)rays) --> then enable raytracing in atmosphere

How is it possible, that the TERRAIN cast shadows into the clouds/atmosphere? From my imagination, I can't really figure out how the "ground" is possible to cast shadows up to the air..

Later when I get home, I'll try enable raytracing in the atmosphere and use crop-render the specific place as you suggest me to.. :) Still im totally amazed over how fast I render how (since I've got all the support here about GL surface details etc.)..

Cheers,
Mike

domdib

The classic example of a terrain casting shadows is a mountain peak shadow on a lower cloud layer.

Matt

The last one is incorrect. Clouds cast shadows into atmosphere to create 'god rays' even when raytracing is disabled. The only things that Terragen calls "ray traced shadows" are shadows of surfaces (terrain and objects). Clouds are considered separately.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Matt on June 09, 2009, 08:00:41 AM

The last one is incorrect. Clouds cast shadows into atmosphere to create 'god rays' even when raytracing is disabled. The only things that Terragen calls "ray traced shadows" are shadows of surfaces (terrain and objects). Clouds are considered separately.

Matt

Yes of course, on second thought :)
I'm wondering though why I remember some people needed "rts" to get godrays, but I must be mistaken then just for this simple technical reason.

Martin

Matt

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on June 09, 2009, 08:36:02 AM
Yes of course, on second thought :)
I'm wondering though why I remember some people needed "rts" to get godrays, but I must be mistaken then just for this simple technical reason.

God rays from objects, e.g. trees.

Everyone else, if you don't know whether you need to enable ray-traced shadows in clouds or atmosphere, then don't. Most scenes don't need it, and it slows things down a lot.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.