The Release Date for TG2

Started by absolutehavok, February 01, 2007, 10:49:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dhavalmistry

I think you are taking this the wrong way!  :)
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

groverwa

Gday buzzzzz

And here is me thinking only my wife said things like that - hehe!!

Now I know that there at least 2 off us

Mike

Volker Harun

Just a bit off-topic:
If someone is pointing a finger on you, there are three fingers pointing to that person  ;) ;) ;)

Dark Fire

I think everybody needs to stop pointing fingers and just be patient. We know the Planetside team are not too good at keeping to deadlines, so if we ignore the deadlines we won't get so frustrated.

Just have fun with the current version of T2TP, and rest assured that the update will be released eventually...

old_blaggard

Planetside just wants to take the time necessary to give a satisfactory product.  Considering all of the surprising bugs in the tech preview, they're going to take even *more* time to make sure that the update really is stable.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

rcallicotte

I agree with the consensus to take time to make it shine.  The best software products come from well thought out and well rounded execution, which seem to be a trait of the programmers and the testers we've spoken to about our problems and misunderstandings.  Heck, I can't believe how much I can do now compared to Terragen. 

TG2TP's future is great and the price right now is stupendous. 
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Oshyan

Buzzzz, just for future reference, "a few" is generally considered "an indefinite but relatively small number". The way I figure it "a couple is two, a few is three or more". We might have some room still. ;)

In any case it's still coming, and still coming "soon". :D I certainly don't blame you for asking or for wanting it sooner, but the others are right - we're really trying to make as many solid fixes as possible so that the next ~2 months won't be as full of crashes for you early adopters. :)

- Oshyan

buzzzzz

Quote from: Oshyan on February 23, 2007, 06:48:17 PM
Buzzzz, just for future reference, "a few" is generally considered "an indefinite but relatively small number". The way I figure it "a couple is two, a few is three or more". We might have some room still. ;)

In any case it's still coming, and still coming "soon". :D I certainly don't blame you for asking or for wanting it sooner, but the others are right - we're really trying to make as many solid fixes as possible so that the next ~2 months won't be as full of crashes for you early adopters. :)

- Oshyan
OK Oshyan We will just say Few'ish and I'll wait Patiently'ish.  ;)

Mars Mug

Hello all,

I'm at the just started, bewildered stage right now with the TG2 Tech Preview, and after TG0.9 I'm not yet able to work out what's what. Is there a list of features that are to be added in the transition from the TG2 Tech Preview to TG2 proper? :)

Will

well here is a short list:

A more friendly GUI, multicore support, faster render times, bunch of other stuff.

and welcome!

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Arandil

Quote from: Mars Mug on February 25, 2007, 11:02:54 AM
Hello all,

I'm at the just started, bewildered stage right now with the TG2 Tech Preview, and after TG0.9 I'm not yet able to work out what's what. Is there a list of features that are to be added in the transition from the TG2 Tech Preview to TG2 proper? :)

There's a bit here:

http://www.designpaths.com/terragen-tutorials/migrating-from-terragen-09-to-terragen-2/

Mars Mug

Quote from: Arandil on February 25, 2007, 02:51:34 PMThere's a bit here:

http://www.designpaths.com/terragen-tutorials/migrating-from-terragen-09-to-terragen-2/

That's great, and actually very useful to me, probably more useful than what I think I'm after. I was after the differences from TG2 Tech Preview to the full TG2, but I expect that's a bit of a dim question?

Arandil

Quote from: Mars Mug on February 25, 2007, 03:08:26 PM
Quote from: Arandil on February 25, 2007, 02:51:34 PMThere's a bit here:

That's great, and actually very useful to me, probably more useful than what I think I'm after. I was after the differences from TG2 Tech Preview to the full TG2, but I expect that's a bit of a dim question?

Ah, I missed that.  I'm not sure about that.  If you go through the online documentation and sundry commentary on the forums here, you'll see mention of things like the water shader being improved, export capabilities being improved, and overall performance being improved.  They put in a color palette management utility, or so I hope.   :-*

I'm just digging in myself, so that's all I know.

Cyber-Angel

Again, let me rephrase some thing that I said on Ashundar last years (Apologies to members there) the up date will be out as will the final version sooner then you think, but not as soon as you imagine.

There are some areas of the GUI that could be tidied up but I am not sure about how this can be done, remember that the Deep and Deep + Animation versions are not the only versions and it is likely that the Creative and Standard editions which will come along at some point in future will have interfaces that are more akin to what we know with 0.9.43, herein then I see a problem.

How then do you design these versions to leverage the power contained within the software presumably without the power and inherent flexibility of the node based interface?

There is only so much you can do from a usability stand point with a traditional GUI composed of menus, tool bars etc unless your planning to use a new GUI pedigram designed from the bottom up, with again the potential usability issues of an untried GUI metric.

The inherent easy of use of 0.9.43 and earlier versions lay in there relatively bare bones feature set compeered to TG2TP which is inherently more sophisticated and powerful that is the paradox of software, how do you have powerful features but have ease and flexibility of use?

If you can answer that question please wright, have pear reviewed and publish a paper on the subject as every one in the software industry from HVAC and Turbo machinery Design to CGI and Physically Hydrology would all be vary interested in what you have to say on the matter!

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel     

The Geostation

Quote from: Oshyan on February 23, 2007, 06:48:17 PM

- Oshyan

I had a feeling that would be the case  :P

But don't worry, I'm getting more than enough fun from the current TG2TP.

Andrew Randle
The Geostation
Andrew Randle
The Geostation