Terragen 2 scripting support !!?

Started by saviorextr, July 28, 2009, 07:42:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saviorextr

Hi All...,

Just today i came across a nice little program called 'Libnoise' (http://libnoise.sourceforge.net/index.html) , which is a coherent noise creating library in C/C++.
And results were damn impressive and i could use the created heightmaps quite easily in terragen itself.
So this made me realise that if the same functionality could be part of terragen. I mean is a script engine for terrain creation and rest on the cards for terragen ???

Cyber-Angel

Quote from: saviorextr on July 28, 2009, 07:42:05 AM
Hi All...,

Just today i came across a nice little program called 'Libnoise' (http://libnoise.sourceforge.net/index.html) , which is a coherent noise creating library in C/C++.
And results were damn impressive and i could use the created heightmaps quite easily in terragen itself.
So this made me realise that if the same functionality could be part of terragen. I mean is a script engine for terrain creation and rest on the cards for terragen ???

OK here's the deal first up welcome too the forums which has such nice features such as a fully working, easy to use search function (Gasp what a shock :o) where you'll discover that while scripting is coming down the road (In other words your best guess is as good as anyone else): it is a long way down the list of priorities for development right now  ::) (Boy is that one wearing just a little thin nowadays, but ho hum nothing anyone can do about it).

Things been given priority now are 64bit conversion and then adding more animation capabilities to the animation module and things of that sort of thing: all in all there's only so much two programmers can do at once, so as they say in the good old US of A "Cut them some slack Jack", not bad for a company based on an English Housing Estate.  8)

Oh, by the way there is such a thing as International Treaties to which the UK has ratified (Plantside been UK based, is all) that prohibit the wholesale ripping off of some ones Intellectual Property such as software code, just to let you know.   

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel           

Matt

Hi savior,

Because libnoise is a C/C++ library, the only way you can interface with it is by scripting or coding. With Terragen I hope we've given you enough control in the GUI to do a lot of what libnoise can do, plus many things it can't.

We do plan to add scripting functionality in the future (probably with Python), although there are no detailed plans yet. Also, some day we'd like to release an SDK, and that would probably include header files to allow you to use some of Terragen's libraries directly in C or C++ code (among other abilities), if that's what you're looking for. This is some time away, however.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Henry Blewer

http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

saviorextr

Thanks a lot for your replies Guys :)

Really looking forward for any kind of SDK release from you guys. Guess i am really a programmer at heart. Also using python would be nice i suppose over c/c++.

Regards,
SavioR

latego

Quote from: Cyber-Angel on July 28, 2009, 08:20:56 AM
Oh, by the way there is such a thing as International Treaties to which the UK has ratified (Plantside been UK based, is all) that prohibit the wholesale ripping off of some ones Intellectual Property such as software code, just to let you know.   

If you bothered to have a look at this library before tying the noose, you would have seen that it is licensed according to the LGPL version 2.1 (or later). This means that the usage of this library is allowed within non-open source applications; only if you create EXTENSIONS to libnoise you have to release the code and even so, only the extensions code, not the code of your application.

Bye...