awesome selection of 3d renders from CG_Society

Started by inkydigit, July 28, 2009, 10:19:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankB

cool! I'm honored :-)

Some of the images are too good to be true, or are compositions with real photos I reckon.

Frank

inkydigit

yeah, definitely models with photo backdrops for some at least!

old_blaggard

http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Walli

thats HDR lighting and pretty common, especially for product shots. When lighting scenes with hdri domes and also having reflections from hdri domes can bring your product shot to the next level.
And indeed there are some awesome renders!

Walli

..and by the way - the amount of responses to Frank´s image shows a general "mood" of 3d folks. Pure landscaping scenes, no matter how well done, seldom recieve much interest. If people hear its made with TG or Vue even less.
On the other hand you can post the 1 millionst render of a car and get many comments ;-)

latego

Quote from: Walli on July 29, 2009, 03:03:16 AM
..and by the way - the amount of responses to Frank´s image shows a general "mood" of 3d folks. Pure landscaping scenes, no matter how well done, seldom recieve much interest. If people hear its made with TG or Vue even less.
On the other hand you can post the 1 millionst render of a car and get many comments ;-)

People salivate when they see the millionth car render because they know the mesh was modeled from scratch and have an idea of the insane amount of detail necessary to create those models. I think that just creating the headlights MESH is more work than creating a whole TG2/Vue render.

Bye...

FrankB

the question is whether you you are more interested in the hand crafting work that went into an image, or the output in general. I respect that most artists on cgsociety are primarily interested in the modeling, than the actual final render. If you only have respect for the work that went into making it, then you may look down at terragen2 or vue and stow it away in your "1 click" prejudges drawer. If you are interested in landscape renders, from an artistic standpoint, you might admire the output of terragen2.

Unfortunately for us, the first group of people dominates cgsociety. My post about the NWDA contest result was deleted because it was considered spam by one of the moderators, although it was getting many views and an average but good amount of comments. I was pretty upset about this, but I'm afraid I have to accept it as how things are.

I do believe that getting a good standing of tg2 at cgsociety is an important next step to take for tg2 and planetside in general. I am not aware of another professional 3d artist network of that size on the internet, that is cross discipline. Maybe it could be worth for planetside buying a few ads at that site, just to get a little more visibility. and / or ask the owners to also setup a terragen sub forum, just like vue has one on that site.

I don't want my extremely occasional terragen posts to be deleted in the future, so I would love to see PS build a relationship with the site, going forward, in the not too distant future.

Frank

Moose

Quote from: FrankB on July 29, 2009, 04:52:21 AM
My post about the NWDA contest result was deleted because it was considered spam by one of the moderators

I would make another post (again in the news section), but this time announce nwda as a great place to get TG2 presets (which also just so happens to show off TG2 nicely too). That is news, no? Also, you could tag on the fact that the site has recently been relaunched... still more news. And just to be sure, do it when you have a new product go public and announce that too. I'd like to see them try and delete that one. :)

PS - just for the record, and in case it wasn't obvious from my tone :o I don't hold much love for CGTalk. They're monopoly status is abused by at least one jumped-up mod who rules the roost shutting people down when he's wrong and talking to people like they're still at primary school, and questionable conflicts of interest by one of the founders (not sure of the current status on that one - it may have changed now). It's a good thing most pros are too busy to engage at that place, but a shame for the little guys trying to get a leg-up as it is the place to be just for the size, like you suggest.

Oh - you could also post over at http://www.cgdigg.com/ which I like to check regularly and would love to see take off more. :)

Congrats on the image btw. :)

Seth

latego

CGSociety IS a community of 3D artists and therefore people evaluate works according to the effort and tecniques used.

It is NOT a place for a non-technical, ARTISTIC analysis of the overall results; I think that to this effect DeviantArt is a much better place where to go. Probably, a strong TG2-ers community on DeviantArt would be much more useful to TG2 overall visibility and appreciation.

I am not a "1 click" sciovinist... because if you are so, e.g. you have to throw away all photography art (which is "1 click", isn't it?)  ;D

Bye!!!

Oshyan

We're certainly investigating CGSociety as a possible advertising partner, however I don't think it's our place to request a section in their forums for Terragen. My understanding is that comes from popular use and the amount of threads for a particular app that show up in the general sections.

- Oshyan

Walli

the point is that I am usually doing all the stuff in my scenes for myself. From textures, over materials, models, atmospheres and so on. And many others do this too.

Just take a look at archviz - there are awesome renders, but in many cases the design came from an architect. The textures come from dvd collections or sources like cgtextures. The plants in almost all cases are stockmodels from xfrog, evermotion and the like. The furniture and other decoration also mostly is stock models.
So the artist "only" threw together the stuff and does a nice rendering from that. So where is the difference to artists in Terragen who use stockmodels?

If you dare to put a poser figure in an archviz scene, you will get many bad comments, no matter how nicely the scene is. But no one complains, when you use a car from Dosch, textures from Arroway, HDRI backdrops from Sachform or trees from Xfrog.

A lot of people simply don´t judge fair. If they read Terragen, Vue or the like, then the picture is nothing worth anymore. They don´t take a look at how much work went into such pictures, they don´t care how nice a picture might look. It´s just something like "oh, Terragen - yes, okay, but TG is made to do nice landscapes". Well, Autocad and max are made to do nice archviz...

Seth

FrankB

Quote from: Walli on July 30, 2009, 04:31:16 AM

A lot of people simply don´t judge fair. If they read Terragen, Vue or the like, then the picture is nothing worth anymore. They don´t take a look at how much work went into such pictures, they don´t care how nice a picture might look. It´s just something like "oh, Terragen - yes, okay, but TG is made to do nice landscapes". Well, Autocad and max are made to do nice archviz...

ok, but the positive sign is that it generated a lot of views. On th epost itself, and also on my site I can tell that at least 1000 visitors came from cgsociety to the contest page.
There must be interest. I think it's only the mod that misjudged the post.