always crashes

Started by neon22, February 05, 2007, 04:34:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

neon22

This file with crater - always crashes in render :-(

Njen

I just rendered it and saw it crash halfway through the render. But when I reduced the resolution by half it rendered fine. Maybe it's running out of memory or something?
Please support my Kickstarter for my animated film, Cyan Eyed (using Terragen)!

rcallicotte

Just rendered it fine.  This was a Quick Render at 640X480.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

old_blaggard

That's a crazy crater.  It looks like it's using a lot of stretched, small-scale displacements.  When you have power fractals with lead-in scales less than about 1 with displacements, it often causes problems with TG2, up to and including crashing.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

firesuite

Quote from: old_blaggard on February 05, 2007, 11:59:04 am
That's a crazy crater.  It looks like it's using a lot of stretched, small-scale displacements.  When you have power fractals with lead-in scales less than about 1 with displacements, it often causes problems with TG2, up to and including crashing.

So what is the difference between the feature scale and the lead in scale ?

i never worked that one out

old_blaggard

The lead-in scale is the highest scale, and the feature scale is kind of like the average (or median... I'm honestly not sure) scale.  I don't know exactly how it works, but I'm guessing it's something along the lines having a bell curve limited by the smallest and lead-in scales, and then distorted according to the feature scale.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Costaud

Quote from: njen on February 05, 2007, 10:15:47 am
I just rendered it and saw it crash halfway through the render...

Same for me and I have 2GB of RAM.

Oshyan

Crash confirmed. I will pass it on to development for diagnoses.

old_blaggards explanation of lead-in and feature scale is largely correct. Essentially the Lead-in defines the largest feature size and the Feature scale defines the average feature size.

- Oshyan