always crashes

Started by neon22, February 05, 2007, 04:34:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

neon22

This file with crater - always crashes in render :-(

Njen

I just rendered it and saw it crash halfway through the render. But when I reduced the resolution by half it rendered fine. Maybe it's running out of memory or something?

rcallicotte

Just rendered it fine.  This was a Quick Render at 640X480.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

old_blaggard

That's a crazy crater.  It looks like it's using a lot of stretched, small-scale displacements.  When you have power fractals with lead-in scales less than about 1 with displacements, it often causes problems with TG2, up to and including crashing.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

firesuite

Quote from: old_blaggard on February 05, 2007, 11:59:04 AM
That's a crazy crater.  It looks like it's using a lot of stretched, small-scale displacements.  When you have power fractals with lead-in scales less than about 1 with displacements, it often causes problems with TG2, up to and including crashing.

So what is the difference between the feature scale and the lead in scale ?

i never worked that one out

old_blaggard

The lead-in scale is the highest scale, and the feature scale is kind of like the average (or median... I'm honestly not sure) scale.  I don't know exactly how it works, but I'm guessing it's something along the lines having a bell curve limited by the smallest and lead-in scales, and then distorted according to the feature scale.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Costaud

Quote from: njen on February 05, 2007, 10:15:47 AM
I just rendered it and saw it crash halfway through the render...

Same for me and I have 2GB of RAM.

Oshyan

Crash confirmed. I will pass it on to development for diagnoses.

old_blaggards explanation of lead-in and feature scale is largely correct. Essentially the Lead-in defines the largest feature size and the Feature scale defines the average feature size.

- Oshyan