Trees won't Render...

Started by choronr, February 05, 2007, 09:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3DGuy

The problem in this case is that the shaders alter the terrain after the calculations that the population uses to determine where the terrain is. What the settings on those shaders are is not really important.

RedSquare

Hmm!  Well I checked Y on all the pages he had altered from the default setting, and it made it worse.  ie Half of the tree height disappeared below ground level. That is, where he had altered either the altitude and/or the slope constrains.  Which of course confirms what you have been saying.

RedSquare

@ Chronor & 3DGuy  Do you think this is any better?  I'm a bit disappointed to see the green chunk out of the bottom left of the trunk but I think this may be the terrain as the ground rises just over a metre about there.

Anyways, I shall zoom in tomorrow to have a look. 

So, looking at the shader nodes I noticed this one lurking so I moved it. see first screen grab.
I moved it upto here, lord knows what its done to the terrain overall. Second grab.

RedSquare

Well I blew it up and I still think it is probably a hummock ?  Do you think the tree is still sunk in the terrain ?

choronr

@3DGuy and RedSquare; thanks guys for your research here. It looks like the cause of the problem is unfolding. @RedSquare; please keep me posted as to your findings; and, how to make corrections to this mess.

RedSquare

Hi, me again. 

Bearing in mind that my last posting successfully submerged the trees half way into the terrain I focused my attention at the base of the trees and, 

Well picking up on 3DGuy's observation that the trees are too low in the terrain, I submit the following.  Unfortunately spread over a few postings as the image files combined would be too large for one posting.

I took my visual reference from the three associated dark markings on the tree trunk.

RedSquare

NB. The reference render shows Y+ 0 where actually, Y = 0. (Whoops)

I then increased the objects Y height by a metre from 0 to 1 and reduced the Y height  from 0 to -1 metre.

Repeated the exercise by increasing the Y height to 2 and reducing the Y height by 2 below zero.

RedSquare

Again... (Images 5 & 6)

and  (Image 7)

lastly (Image 9)

The latter shows a screen grab just as the terrain is being started showing the root system below ground of the object. The commencement of the bark texture shows  the interface of below and above terrain surface.  Clearly as 3DGuy observed the object is still low in the terrain.

As to why the object appears to rise when a negative Y and sinks when a positive Y I'll leave to more knowledgeable persons to explain. 'Cause I'm really, really thick.

Lastly, I have superimposed Chornor's camera settings onto my last .tgd so that the POV is the same, not sure why Chornor altered the render pixel ratio so I left as is.

choronr

Thank you RedSquare. I guess what you are saying is to " set the 'Y' setting' to -3.5 in order to avoid having all the trees be partially covered by the terrain ...correct??? 

RedSquare

Well I guess yes, until proven to the contrary.  I'd be interested in hearing your observations on the difference between the terrain via your 4.tgd and the last one 12.tgd irrespective of the disposition of the objects, though I never altered the seed.

choronr

First, I have a question referring to your February 8th posting: I am not totally clear on how you moved the 'Strata/Outcrops' shader between 'Fractal terrain' and 'Compute terrain'. I don't see a 'Fractal terrain' in my node diagram (sorry; I'm new to this stuff). Tell me what I need to do to make this change please.

I will come back to your question later ...we are about to have dinner.

choronr

@RedSquare: Your question; "I'd be interested in hearing your observations on the difference between the terrain via your 4.tgd and the last one 12.tgd irrespective of the disposition of the objects, though I never altered the seed."

I have not noticed a terrain difference between 4.tgd and 12.tgd.

RedSquare

Well I trust you enjoyed your meal.

Re: the Fractal terrain, I didn't add it, it was in your .tgd that you posted on  February the 6th left click on the green Terrain node tab in the bottom right hand node window. There it is.

I guess the easiest way would be to use the .tgd that I posted today.  This is your original .tgd with the various alterations that I added.  Maybe you won't like the outcome, we will see.  What I mean is, render both and see if there are any differences, especially to the terrain irrespective of whether the object population is as you wish it.

choronr

Can you send me the latest .tgd file you posted today?

choronr

Oooops; excuse my stupidity. I'll download the file (12.tgd) from your above posting. Thank you.