Another waterfall system

Started by Dune, August 19, 2009, 05:48:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on August 25, 2009, 08:33:17 AM
I made some trees in XFrog, they're sort of Betula, some dead trees and some Crataegus, just these 3 pops.

Have you considered posting the .tgd of this to File Sharing as an excellent tutorial on this subject. I have been playing around with this type of scene with no where near your success and would love to look at your .tgd to assess what the heck I'm doing wrong...please think about it mate.. ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

otakar

:o Top render, absolute beauty. I need to know how one can get such realistic water, let alone the falls. Can't even get halfway there...

Dune

Just read what I wrote before, there's quite a bit of explanation in there. About painted shaders and such. The water is actually quite straightforward, a little extra displacement and foam here and there (thru extra surface layers, attached to water shader-lake), blended by some more painted shaders. The underground (riverbed up the fall) is the same painted shader as the waterfall itself, just a little lower level. Feed this layer into a lake as well, and dump the water shader from this second lake.
Getting the painted shaders just right is the hardest; get the brush size right, paint carefully after pausing a 100% preview (I changed the POV temporarily, for a better overview of where to paint), it's not a perfect (PS-like) way of painting, but it works. The water was falling on some ground at the right side, so I made another painted shader and displaced the ground down some 10 meters at that particular spot, so there would be lake there instead of ground. If you chosse the right spot for a waterfall that kind of straightening out little mistakes would perhaps not be neccessary.

--- Dune

Volker Harun

Agree with all the compliments above.

Only point is that shadowish area. For example the trees seem to have some luminosity which is weird looking. Same with the terrain - I might be wrong with luminosity, but it looks lake pasted, somehow.
Volker ;)