Global color adjustment for objects?

Started by Mandrake, September 06, 2009, 08:44:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandrake

hmm forgot about the color adjust node. Does it do the same thing though?

Tangled-Universe

I don't know what's the use of a colour adjust shader this way.

The colour adjust shader is a shader which works similar to the "levels" function in photoshop.
It's also similar to the equalizer function in world-machine. Both are basically the same.
I'll try to explain:

You have a powerfractal with black and white colors.
This fractal generates features which are from 0 to 1 (black to 100% white).

When you feed the output of this powerfractal into a colouradjust node you can alter these generated colors in the following ways:

1) increase black point: if you set blackpoint to 0.1 you tell the shader to take the color-range from the powerfractal from 0.1 to 1 and then equalize this range back to 0 to 1.
2) decrease white point: if you set white point to 0.9 you tell the shader to take the color range from the powerfractal from 0 to 0.9 and then equalize this range back to 0 to 1.
3) black point 0.2 and white point 0.8 = take input range of 0.2 to 0.8 from powerfractal and equalize this to 0 to 1.

This is a very useful node because with increasing the black point you can get rid of unwanted small scale noise from your fractal.

Martin

Mandrake

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on September 06, 2009, 09:38:26 AM
I don't know what's the use of a colour adjust shader this way.

Martin

Well I just thought I'd try it, and for one.. Did you see the size of the material list above?
I can bring all the colors back to where I had originally had them set, before tg2 in it's ultimate wisdom decided to lighten them by half or more or how ever it decides it want to make your color. Adjusting so many material shaders when you shouldn't have to is a giant pain.
Still playing, thanks for the input.

cyphyr

Honestly if I ever had that many shaders to edit I'd open the file up in a text editor and run a "search and replace" for the errant numbers.
:)
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Mandrake

Typical poseray material output.
#==================================================
newmtl 02 - Default2
Ns 22.62742
Ka 0.5882353 0.5882353 0.5882353
Kd 0.5882353 0.5882353 0.5882353
Ks 0.8980392 0.8980392 0.8980392
map_Kd Large Cylinder 2 Back.jpg
map_Bump LARGE CY.JPG
#bump_size 0
d 1
#r 0
#metal
#blend 0
#cell_hi

#==================================================

""search and replace" for the errant numbers."
I don't understand cyphyr, errant numbers.
That makes me think you'd want me to change something that's wrong, I haven't done a color wrong, tg2 has lightened every color, so I should darken everything first knowing that tg2 is going to cut it in half? Nine! ;)

cyphyr

I did not mean to imply you had done anything wrong at all.

Once the obj is in Terragen, save the tgp file and open it up in "notepad" or similar.
Look for an entry called "obj_reader" and under here you'll see another entry called "Parts_shader". Under that you should see "default_shader" (the name may be different) and within there you'll see the numbers that need changing. I "think" your looking for:

"diffuse_colour = "0.3921568394 0.3921568394 0.3921568394"

that's where the change needs to be made and its a lot easier to do this in a text editor than individual node by node in Terragen.

Richard

www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\

Mandrake

Your just to cleaver!! But I don't think tg2 blankets the numbers the same, so if I changed all the d_c= "0.8 0.8 0.8" for example I would be changing the original colors wouldn't I? If I use the color adjust node it moves everything on an even keel. I think.

cyphyr

The great advantage of changing things in a text editor is its relatively quick and easy.

Change all your d_c= "0.8 0.8 0.8" to something else, render a section, like it, keep it dont like it, change the numbers back or try differant numbers.

Once an object is in Terragen its colours are controlled completely by Terragen, it only references the obj's "mat" file on loading the first time (TG may still require it to be there but I don't see it referenced anywhere)

Oh just a thought, you might want to isolate the text to be edited in a new temporary file Copy everything between:

<obj_reader>

xxxxx

</obj_reader>

into a new txt file and do the find and replace on that, then copy back into the original terragen file :)

Hope this helps, I'd sure hate to have to deal with that many shaders on a model...

Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\

Mandrake

I'll take a look at that cyphyr but to show you what I was getting at. The bleached out pic is right out of poseray and the 2nd is looking much like the 8 or so colors I looked at in c4d. After applying the color adjust.

Mandrake

And

Oshyan

Fellas, please keep this on topic! I've split your new discussion into its own thread. ;D

- Oshyan

Mandrake

Sorry about that Oshyan.

Mat or Jo, care to comment on what up with imported obj color?

Matt

I don't know Mandrake. Can you be more specific? Show an object rendered in another renderer (OpenGL previews don't count), then compare with TG?

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Henry Blewer

I will open Blender sometimes, open a image in the image viewer. Then I can grab colors off the image when the material editor is open. Just use the color selector, click on sample, and point at the color in the image.
This gives me the colors HSV or RGB values. I just type them in. It would be a nice feature in Terragen 2.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Mandrake

Sorry about the size here, I couldn't think of any other way to do this quick.

I start off in C4D with one set of values, I export to PoseRay and end up with another set of values and import to TG2 to get a third set of values.
Also, the colors look similar in poseray and C4D and render out light in TG2, any clue as to why these numbers bounce all over the place.
And why TG2 come out much lighter in the final render?
Kenny