Teaser I and II

Started by Dune, October 01, 2009, 11:17:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Tried to attach two images of 375 kB each, but failed; so I do it in two batches...

Here's some quick images of what I'm studying to grasp now; tint variation in just one population of grass or tree. The grass render with a size variation of 0.7-1.4, the tree render without. More to follow...

---Dune

Dune

And the other image.

Gannaingh

Really cool! This is very encouraging to see!

dandelO

Cool. I have my own method of doing this, too. It uses PFS blenders to describe how much of any given population shader is applied to each object over the scale of the population.

cyphyr

Dose the transparency/opacity still work close up?
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

CCC

Finally, some tonal color variants in our vegetation. This looks promising.    ;)

Dune

I don't know Richard, but this method is more interesting for pops than close ups. But I might check that (somehow)...

bla bla 2

Mohawk20

So this is just by using powerfractals?
Or how do you do this?
Howgh!

Tangled-Universe

I can't recall anymore where I asked you yesterday about whether you added color-variation per instance or over the entire population.
With per instance I mean that one instance has only lighter leaves than the other instance.
With over the entire population I mean that all the trees have mixed leaves with mixed tints.

It seems you have created tint-variations over the entire population. Correct?
It doesn't really matter of course, but per instance variation would be really awesome :)

Do you mind if I post here how I do it?

Cheers,
Martin

Dune

http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=7697.0
That's the one, Martin. Yesterday, I added some sample renders of what I mean. It's over the entire pop, as you guessed. The lower half of a mountain scene is now rendering, with this coloration brought into 'real life'. Autumn variations downhill, snowed upon higher up and bare trees at highest range... all in one pop. I find it quite awesome myself, although I got the impression that (for one) BigBen has something figured out as well, as has Dandel0. The problem with my method is that it relies on an image map, I cannot get it to work procedurally.
So, please do post here what your method is.

---Dune

Dune

I must rewrite one sentence; it's per instance, not over the whole population. You'll see one tree orange, the other one or two green, the third couple purple, or whatever...

Henry Blewer

That is a very interesting node 'macro' you are building. Per instance? Great stuff!
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Dune on October 08, 2009, 02:55:28 AM
I must rewrite one sentence; it's per instance, not over the whole population. You'll see one tree orange, the other one or two green, the third couple purple, or whatever...

Ah right! That changes it completely for me. At the moment I have no idea how to do that.

To get color-variations among a population is very simple. Just plug a powerfractal in between the texture-shader of the leaf and the object shader.
Then you can control coverage by using a constant color node between 0 ans 1 as a blendshader for the powerfractal.

Falcon

This is unbelievably cool. One of the final points missing from TG2 (at least for me) was variations within tree populations. Especially large populations just look too uniform.