Alpha Channel

Started by MrHooper, December 02, 2009, 09:38:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrHooper

I'm trying to get an alpha channel out with my image for compositing.

In a previous thread, I found this quote:

After your render is complete check Terragen image temp folder - there's a separate image with an alpha channel of your render (and your colour render also).

Sounds great, but call me stupid;)  Where is the terragen temp image folder?  It's not in the install dir.  not in my documents.  Any specifics?  Running win7 btw.

Andrew

Zairyn Arsyn

i had same problem... looked and looked but couldnt find them, then someone told me how on this forum,

start terragen 2-
then go to: File> Explore Temporary Files, that should open a window with all your renders individual folders.
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

Henry Blewer

You can also change the path the temp files are stored into. This input is located under the sequence/output tab of the render settings.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Kadri

The folder is hidden by default(?).
Yes we can change the place...I don't know if you think the same but changing this folders default place would be better i think.

Kadri.

Marlin

Would it cause problems to delete these old files?

Kadri

I deleted them just now. Nothing bad happened . But this is only me  :)

Kadri.

Henry Blewer

Eventually they just become old data. I clean them out about 4 times a year.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Hetzen

If your matte seems a couple of pixels out, check your antialiasing settings. Mattes seem to bloom too.

Dune

Actually you should empty the temp folder if you don't need the (old) files. I once had so many renders that my C: was completely full and the machine slowed down and crashed. Now I empty it after each session that I know wasn't interesting to keep. It's a good idea to change the location  to a more easy to reach place.

jo

Hi,

The temp folder is easily reachable from the File menu using the Explore Temporary Files (Windows) or Reveal Temporary Files (Mac) menu items. Actually on the Mac these files are cleaned up automatically, not on Windows it seems (while have to check on that again).

In a future release we will let you specify where these files are created, but I don't think it will be for the next release.

Regards,

Jo

fxsculpt

Any idea when we will be able to output alpha channel on the Mac? I could really use this.

cyphyr

Quote from: jo on December 03, 2009, 03:20:33 AM

In a future release we will let you specify where these files are created, but I don't think it will be for the next release.

Can I request also the ability to say what format these files are saved in, automatic saving of exr and jpg would be very useful :)
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Kadri

Quote from: cyphyr on January 21, 2010, 04:53:19 PM
Can I request also the ability to say what format these files are saved in, automatic saving of exr and jpg would be very useful :)
Richard

Good idea , Cyphyr . It seems basic but such things make life more comfortable  :)

Kadri.

Matt

In Terragen the alpha channel is saved as a separate image with RGB channels to represent different amount of alpha at different wavelengths, but the principle is the same. The alpha images can be found in your temporary files folder (File -> Explore/Reveal Temporary Files). Or if you render using the settings on the Sequence/Output tab in the render node, you can enable "extra output image" there. The Extra output images are just alpha images in current versions.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

fxsculpt

Does this go for Mac OS as well?

Thanks