starship troopers

Started by Jack, January 10, 2010, 07:38:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seth

Quote from: CCC on January 13, 2010, 04:52:22 AM

I suppose Starship Troopers could be looked at as satire. I had never thought of that if that was Verhoven's intent.

that is how he presented the movie by then ^^
he always told that it was a satire indeed.

Blade Runner was real good and to be honest, one of my favorite movie !!! very different from the book (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep ?)

as for Dune... yeah, if you never read the book it is a good movie i guess... but if you did read the book, it is just another Hollywood bad movie inspired by a great novel ! Dune's novels are one of my fav' books !!! even the sequels from his son are good :)

CCC

Ahh, well then. I have to re-watch it again soon to appreciate his interpretation.    ;)

Yes, very different but Phillip K Dick loved what he saw on the set with Ridley before his death. Real bummer to. It's my favorite as well. I have the brief case DVD set and listen to the film score often. As a kid i actually was allowed to see it.    ;D

To be honest David Lynch was very unhappy with his vision of Dune. I have to wonder how it could have been improved say he was allowed to go back. The novels of course are just epic and richly layered.

Kadri

Seth you write in such a way i can not be angry at you even if i don't agree and have the opposite opinion .
Your style and what you said remembered me on this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlBiLNN1NhQ

;D

Life isn't always bright especially in the other country's outside ABD , Europa , Japan and such rich country's .

And guess in which country's are science fiction more produced ?

"Serious " art itself is entertainment for me  :)

I saw the 2D version of Avatar. It doesn't bored me . But all the story was in the trailers and on the net .
No place that i was surprised or so . I wanted to see it in 3D . To see the 3D version i had to go 135 km to another town. I nearly was going to go .
But then i said to myself f..k it , for this story no. In the past i would probably go much further.

I did this voyage for a film  a long time ago in a...hmm... for   The Return of The Jedi .
And this film was one of the moments i begun to realize that there are more - or less things then you see on the movie screen .

Especially the Ewoks did awake me from my deep sleep .

And no , making money from movies isn't bad.
But making knowingly bad movies to make money is bad.

I don't know why but this melody is stuck now in my brain

"Always Look On The Bright Side of Life ....."

Cheers.

Kadri.

Kadri

CCC , if i remember correctly the bugs in Starship Troopers were controlled from bigger bugs.
If you want you can think of this the equivalent  of the fascistic administration and propaganda of the humans .

If we all try harder we would maybe find the meaning of life somewhere in the bugs caves  ;D

Seriously this film has some messages . But Paul Verhoeven isn't at the capacity to deliver it Like a good director can.
But i am curious of this film   http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0389557/   Has anyone seen this?

Kadri.

Walli

Quote from: Kadri on January 13, 2010, 07:59:31 AMSeriously this film has some messages .
This film IS a message. I think of all movies mentioned in this thread, Starship Troopers might be he most "serious" one. I like it a lot, but I also can understand that many eople turn off after a few minutes and say "what the hell...". It looks so cheesy and sounds so cheesy that most people turn off before they get the message.

Wasn´t Verhoeven also director of Total Recall? Liked that one too.

Seth

District 9 was a good one too !
nice messages in it :)

mr-miley

Dune.... hmmmm. Fantastic books! Awful film if you'd read them, not a bad film if you hadn't  ;D  They did do a TV mini series of the first book. That wasn't half as bad as the films. Because it was a lot longer, they had more room for the more booky stuff and hence it was a lot closer to the story. Only saw it once. Well worth a watch if it comes on TV again
I love the smell of caffine in the morning

Seth

Quote from: mr-miley on January 13, 2010, 09:22:30 AM
Dune.... hmmmm. Fantastic books! Awful film if you'd read them, not a bad film if you hadn't  ;D  They did do a TV mini series of the first book. That wasn't half as bad as the films. Because it was a lot longer, they had more room for the more booky stuff and hence it was a lot closer to the story. Only saw it once. Well worth a watch if it comes on TV again

errrr... don't tell me that Paul Muad'ib looks like that ! and the Fremen !!! the serie was a joke too :D

CCC

Quote from: Kadri on January 13, 2010, 07:59:31 AM
CCC , if i remember correctly the bugs in Starship Troopers were controlled from bigger bugs.
If you want you can think of this the equivalent  of the fascistic administration and propaganda of the humans .

If wee all try harder we would maybe find the meaning of life somewhere in the bugs caves  ;D

Seriously this film has some messages . But Paul Verhoeven isn't at the capacity to deliver it Like a good director can.
But i am curious of this film  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0389557/   Has anyone seen this?

Kadri.

The brain bug, yes.

I had not ever heard of Zwartboek. It is interesting to see him as director and writer. Like many directors they do have the capacity to have there ups and downs but i don't think Uwe Boll ever had an up.    ;D

CCC

Yes, Verhoeven did Total Recall and the biggest body count in film history as well.     ;D

CCC

Was Paul Atreides age 15 in the book if i recall correctly?

As for the series i think they had to work with what little production values they had available and therefore that is perhaps why many of the actors were out of place unknowns and everything looked like an obvious stage set. Children of Dune had a bigger budget and more known actors.

True the series was closer to the book. The Lynch film had many of the director's own ideas like the Weirding Modules, The Heart Plug and a more grotesque Harkonnen image.

Marcos Silveira

"Would You like to know more??"  ;D

Marcos Silveira

Quote from: Kadri on January 19, 2010, 10:07:43 PM
Quote from: ro-nin on January 19, 2010, 10:05:53 PM
"Would You like to know more??"  ;D

?
This sentence was spread by the broadcast news of the movie all the time!!! It's stuck in my head!!! ;D
http://www.myvideo.de/watch/5156699/STARSHIP_TROOPERS_NEWS