My new rock wall, (I'm done)

Started by FrankB, January 23, 2010, 09:30:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankB

Hi everyone,

what you see below (and you'll have to see more than the thumbnail), is a relatively advanced version of my new rock wall displacements and texturing. It's still work in progress, but I'd say it's about 85% where I want it to be.

At this stage I would appreciate your reviews and comments. The image rendered in 1:22h on my computer at 2000 x 1143 pixel. A few other render stats are: AA5, GI 1/2 + SSP, and soft lights.
I had to resize it to 1680 px wide, and also significantly jpeg-compress this image to not break the 500kB limit in this forum, but I think the end result is still worth viewing.

For testing, the new rock wall displacements and texturing (all procedural) have been put on the steep side wall of a simple shape shader. I'm planning to test this with a few DEMs, such as the hell hole bend canyon, to see if any modfications are required.

Thanks,
Frank

dandelO

Wow, man! That's some bloody fantastic surfacing there. I love the green mossy textures in contrast with the red rock. There's only one small portion that I have an issue with, at the far bottom right, looks like a stretch instead of a strata but that's a small cookie in comparison. Very, very nice!

FrankB

Thank you Martin, glad you like it :)

The bottom right is just a hard cut-off from an altitude constraint, which I used during testing. I thought I had angled the camera away from it  :)

Cheers,
Frank

domdib

Seems like rock work is in the air, with Martin showing his as well. It looks very good to me. The only thing I'd suggest is perhaps some very small-scale displacements to roughen the surface a bit more. EDIT: I found that Volker's OneforAll is ideal for that sort of thing.

FrankB

There is a lot of small scale detail, some of which got lost after the resizing of the render. Generally I am shooting for a heat and wind smoothed sand stone base, which is why it cannot be too rough.
But I agree it could be nice to add a couple of bigger, flat and sharp edged fake stone rubble, that lies on the ledges of the outcrops. That could be a nice touch.

Thanks,
Frank

Thelby

I agree that the color differentiation is awesome looking, Very Nice Work!!!

FrankB

Seth

mhaze

This is excellent but I feel there should be some vertical cracks.

FrankB

ok, so this is the same technique applied to a canyon DEM.
As you can see this looks significantly differnt from the first one, and I am not exactly sure as to why.

You should have seen the render before this one. It was way to "wild", until I discovered that the fractal detail added by the heightfiled shader was just too much. So I switched that off.

Still I think the rock surface is rather nice, however as I said, I would like to figure out why it's so different from the first render.

Cheers,
Frank

cyphyr

I like this, its going in a direction that I'm following my self. In both images you there is a very water eroded "flowstone" effect. Great if that's what your after. I'm trying to get a more angular "blocky" effect, I'll post when I get some decent results :)
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

domdib

I must say, it looks very good applied to the canyon DEM.

FrankB

got it now, the outcrops have been too large, plus I made a wrong connection somewhere :(
I'm making a new render with this canyon DEM...
I will also try to take some of the previous suggestions into account.

Thanks,
Frank