The wonders of TG2 - As per my new rock wall example

Started by FrankB, February 01, 2010, 08:04:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

Ah yes, this looks really good :) Great work!

Cheers,
Martin

domdib

MacGyver

Wow! :o
Maybe you can help me figuring out one small thing; there're small white spots in the image, is this the water you talked about? Doesn't distract, I'm just curious... ;)
What you wish to kindle in others must burn within yourself. - Augustine

FrankB

Oshyan

Wonderful work Frank. Really beautiful results. I wonder though how this would interact with a DEM of higher resolution. I'm pretty sure DEM data is available for this area at 10 meter resolution. Yours looks like 30 meter (guessing). Could be an interesting test.

As for the white spots, you can try getting rid of them by increasing Displacement Tolerance (e.g. to 2) in the Planet object, but this will increase render time. Hopefully this won't be necessary as much in the future with heavily displaced stuff like this (lots of Martin's work also has this problem, for the same reasons of heavy displacement).

- Oshyan

Henry Blewer

This is definitely one of your best renders. Nice work!
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

FrankB

thank you all

@Oshyan: the white spots are no big deal for stills, so I don't mind much, as they're easy to clone-stamp away :)
I would rather have liked to be able to render this in 4k px wide, but that will eventually be possible with the 64bit version anyway I suppose.

Cheers,
Frank

dandelO

Oshyan, thanks, I recently noticed these white spots when I was testing sparkle and intersection rules for some snow setups I was playing with. I found they were mainly appearing in 'displacement intersection' setups with smoothing enabled, right around the intersected areas.

I'm going to dig and see if I have any of these files still saved with these spots. I remember I managed to get rid of them but it wasn't by increasing displacement tolerance. I forget exactly what I done.

I don't suppose your setup is using displacement intersection parameters anywhere, though, Frank? Do you have any stone or dust layers using displacement intersection here?

FrankB

dandelO

Mmm-hmm. :D

Seems they're not that specific then, the dots.

Tangled-Universe

I had around 100 of those white spots in my deep forest image...no intersect underlying either.
I really think the number of displacing powerfractals is related to this. You don't have to do extreme displacements to get it, just many displacements (ok, which you could call extreme as well then, but you get my point).

Gannaingh

Too bad about the white spots, otherwise it is absolutely stunning!

MacGyver

What you wish to kindle in others must burn within yourself. - Augustine

FrankB

opened a new thread for this....