The wonders of TG2 - As per my new rock wall example

Started by FrankB, February 01, 2010, 08:04:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankB

Hi guys,

as I've been working on my new rock wall surface preset, I can't help but to be amazed (again) about the wonders that TG2 does with transforming a simple heightfield (or any other surface for that matter), into a shiny, amazingly detailed world. How it magically becomes a *world* that's photo real, and that bends to your imagination as the creator of that world.

So as i said, I have worked long hours on creating a rock wall surface that I like and find believable. That was done in a "proof of concept" environment with lots of testing, trial and error, educated guesses and stupid mistakes :)

I am creating this little thread to demonstrate to you how powerful TG2 is, particularly with displacement and creation of small scale detail. To begin with, here's the "raw" heightfield that I have used.

So welcome to the horseshoe bend:

(the further updates may take a while, but I will add them)

Tangled-Universe

Cool topic-idea. According to this idea I did/showed something similar in my Yosemite Valley image. The power of TG2 is incredible when it comes to stuff like this. Looking forward to see this evolving :)

Cheers,
Martin

FrankB

and here is what the rock surface does to it:

FrankB

and a close up crop when rendered 4000 px wide:

old_blaggard

Wow, fantastic work, Frank! That is some of the best rock work that I have ever seen come out of this program.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

FrankB

thanks! :)

I thought as a next step, I will gradually switch on all detail generating elements of the rock surface (in slightly smaller renders), so you all can see what it is capable of, and also to get a glimpse into the thought process of getting there.

Frank

FrankB

Step 1:

add a few bumps and horizontal ridges (all relatively subtle) to the raw heightfield (that doesn't have "add fractal detail applied).

FrankB

FrankB

Step 3:

the strata are too even and regular. So we add a wave form to the y extents of the strata. It's a litle bit overdone in this example, to better point out what it does. There's large scale and small scale waves (the latter you hardly see).

FrankB

Step 4:

Now we subtly add a few outcrops here and there. It's just more interesting with them ;)

FrankB

Step 5:

now we add a little stratified color

FrankB

Step 6:

now we add a lot of rocks and rubble. Essential for the realism :)

And done :)

Hope you enjoyed this little tour :)

domdib

Very nice evolution. There are little mysteries in there (like "add a wave form to the y extents of the strata") that make me think you could easily extend this into a tutorial, and perhaps even charge something for it on NWDA CS. But then, maybe you don't want to give away *all* your secrets  ;).

Also, the second image in particular is deserving of a show of its own - the only thing that is not quite perfect is that the bushes seem too regularly spread.

Zairyn Arsyn

looks awesome frank, i like/think its better than your first version. 8)

also like seeing the different renders as you develop it :)
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

mhaze

Awsome work. I too am intrigued by  "add a wave form to the y extents of the strata" as I've played with this idea withouit much success - I'd like to know more

Mick