"My name is J. J. Abrams...

Started by Hannes, February 05, 2010, 08:07:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

...and I really like to use lens flares.

...when needed.

...and when not needed."

OK, I had to use lens flares, because the little white cookie, that TG renders in space scenes doesn't really look like the sun.

Some information:
I used parts of a wonderful space station model created by Keith Hazelet I purchased at the Renderosity store. I also created the "greeble ring" which is actually made of a side part of a model of Darth Vaders ship I found somewhere in the net a few years ago. In 3ds max I bent (is it bent or bended?) ...errr... I made a ring out of it.
I used my own textures for both the station parts and the ring. It's nice to use opacity masks to fake more details, which I did for parts of the ring.
The selfilluminating dots are particles I converted into a mesh, mapped it cylindrically and assigned a simple map with slightly different colors to it.

I used a tgd-file by Nvseal (thanks!!) to create the land/water distribution.
For the clouds I used one layer with tiny little clouds and three layers all with the same density map, but with different coverage, density, height and thickness to create low density smooth clouds at the lowest altitude and more solid higher clouds on top of them.

For the city lights (exaggerated, I know) I used an image map shader with an image I quickly made in PS and used a camera projection with a second camera as a giant slide projector.

These were the simple things.

Now for something really challenging:

dear Planetside staff,
it is really a pain in the butt to place lights and objects. Can you imagine how my butt hurted after I had placed the lights on the station?
Please put "easily placing objects and lights with at least wire frame display" to your "to do list". Please!

OK, hope you like it.

Henry Blewer

Great image. I agree with you about a wireframe for objects is essential. A better would be to have a solid model in the OpenGL preview. For me the box preview works well for populations. This saves a lot of render time in the preview. But for an individual object I vote for a solid OpenGL render. It would not have to render reflectivity. Color and a approximate specular  render would be enough.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Walli

thats one of the best outer space renders made with TG2 I have seen so far, very well done!

Zairyn Arsyn

great image and a really great space model, makes me want to model that stuff more often.
Quote from: Hannes on February 05, 2010, 08:07:53 AM
OK, I had to use lens flares, because the little white cookie, that TG renders in space scenes doesn't really look like the sun.

i like that description of TG2's sun, when i need a lens flare i just use LW3d's lens flare system
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

FrankB

A very interesting image and it is obvious that a lot of work has gone into making this.
On a side remark: the entire post was very funny. Thanks for giving me a laugh :)

Cheers,
Frank

Hannes

inkydigit

I agree with Frank...awesome space/orbital scene...I feel your pain, and you made me giggle too!

Seth

buzzzzz1

XFX 750i SLI  nFORCE Mobo
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz Wolfdale
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
Nvidia GForce 9600 GSO 768 MB
XP Pro 64 bit OS

domdib

Super deluxe! (just to avoid repeating "Awesome!"  ;)) And thanks for the tips on the clouds.

freelancah

Nice job! I especially like the reflection on the planet. Makes me think of Nasa photographs from ISS!

Gannaingh

Where did you find my ship and what business do you have turning it into a ring?! ;D I like the image, the space station works well with the planet.

Hannes

TheBlackHole

Quote from: darthvader1 on February 05, 2010, 04:03:15 PM
Where did you find my ship and what business do you have turning it into a ring?! ;D I like the image, the space station works well with the planet.
Quote from: Hannes on February 05, 2010, 04:46:17 PM
Hey dad, I couldn't resist!

Luke

Lol. Please share the station.
They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?

Hetzen

I like this a lot. I also like lens flares, shine and 3d stroke. There's probably a support group out there somewhere.

This image sparked an interesting debate earlier today. Some were saying that there wasn't enough detail in the textures to make this look 'real'. I was on the counter argument, thinking that one; it doesn't actually exist, so you know it's not real anyway. Two, lighting in space is very harsh, and in fact there was plenty of detail to make this image convincing. I'm positive that with the right camera moves, and the right rotation of the platform, in program context, no one would bat an eye lid. The only thing I would change, purely for imagined practical reasons, i.e. shuttles to and throw, would be the orientation of the second distant platform.

Got to echo what others have said, this is one of the best sci-fi renders I've seen with TG.