Adjusting displacement funciton

Started by pmetschan, March 25, 2010, 02:12:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pmetschan

I am having some trouble adjusting the displacement coming out of the planet_shader node. I am really happy with the continental breakup I am getting so I am using that to drive the location and appearance of the continents themsleves. The displacement variation (mountains/lowlands) I am getting out of the shader I like as well but its far to high compared to the Earth sized planet its on.

What I would like to do is place a "function" node of some kind between the [planet_shader] node and the [compute terrain] node to simply bring the displacement height down together. I tried to achieve this by merging it with a [constant] node but it did not have the effect I was looking for.

Sorry for the newb question I am thinking it is simply a matter of using a [divide] or some other option. any help will be greatly appreciated.

Tangled-Universe

Is it me or do you just need to lower the displacement value of your displacementshader?

If you want to adjust the color input (functio input of the displacement shader) then you can use a multiply colour or divide node.
Depending on which one you use you multiply it by a value of <1 or divide it by >1.

You probably mean something else :)

pmetschan

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on March 25, 2010, 04:14:46 PM
Is it me or do you just need to lower the displacement value of your displacementshader?

If you want to adjust the color input (functio input of the displacement shader) then you can use a multiply colour or divide node.
Depending on which one you use you multiply it by a value of <1 or divide it by >1.

You probably mean something else :)

As far as i know there isn't an actual "displacement shader" exclusively coming out of the [planet_surface_shader] node. Instead there is jut an input for mountain scale. However this input seems to only effect the "spread" not the height of the displacement. This is why I want to intercept it coming out of the shader and just push it down. I will certainly try your suggestion thank you. What would be really great is if there is someone that really knows how the [planet_surface_shader] works.

Does anyone know the origin and history of this node?

Tangled-Universe

Does anyone know the origin and history of this node?

I only know it IS history at the moment :) Maybe it will return some day, I don't know, but it is probably disabled by default because of difficult behaviour/handling like what you describe here.
If you post the tgd here I might be able to take a look at it.

pmetschan

here is the particular file I am struggling with. Basically the land mass in the crop region is way to high for the planet. Further complicating things is the fact that the displacement is overwhelming the ocean and atmosphere shaders. I have to knock it down so far to get under the atmos that it might as well not be there. Take a look sorry its a mess.