What operating systems do you use Terragen on?

Started by Oshyan, April 27, 2010, 12:49:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What operating systems do you use Terragen on?

Mac OS 9
1 (0.7%)
Mac OS X
25 (17.5%)
Windows 2000
4 (2.8%)
Windows XP
28 (19.6%)
Windows XP x64
9 (6.3%)
Windows Vista 32 Bit
10 (7%)
Windows Vista 64 Bit
13 (9.1%)
Windows 7 32 Bit
8 (5.6%)
Windows 7 64 Bit
74 (51.7%)
Linux (Wine)
9 (6.3%)
Other
0 (0%)
Windows 98
0 (0%)
Windows 8
5 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 143

Oshyan

Hi guys, I thought it would be interesting to get an idea of what operating systems we're all using. We get basic Mac/Windows platform information for registered users, but we don't know what specific versions of the OS, and we also don't have info on free users. Not to mention those of you with multiple platforms. ;) So I've made it a multi-choice poll. Please check all operating systems that you use Terragen on (whether Terragen 2 or Terragen Classic).

- Oshyan

Henry Blewer

I have been seriously considering upgrading to Windows 7 64 bit on my old machine. Microsoft's computer analysis program says that my machine can handle it.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Kadri

Quote from: njeneb on April 27, 2010, 08:06:26 AM
I have been seriously considering upgrading to Windows 7 64 bit on my old machine. Microsoft's computer analysis program says that my machine can handle it.

It is up to you , but i wouldn't take the chance , Njeneb . Windows 7 is better then Vista but better then XP ?
I am not so sure. Especially with older hardware. If you have a spare HD try it on it first , without messing with your old system .

Rhalph

Quote from: Kadri on April 27, 2010, 08:16:16 AM
It is up to you , but i wouldn't take the chance , Njeneb . Windows 7 is better then Vista but better then XP ?
Ooooh yes it is ! ;D
The only problem I had with is that my old webcam doesn't have any drivers for 64 bits OS (I use Win 7 64). But I had the same problem with Win XP 64.
I never tried Vista.

Kadri

Quote from: Rhalph on April 27, 2010, 08:39:19 AM
Quote from: Kadri on April 27, 2010, 08:16:16 AM
Ooooh yes it is ! ;D
The only problem I had with is that my old webcam doesn't have any drivers for 64 bits OS (I use Win 7 64). But I had the same problem with Win XP 64.
I never tried Vista.

:D   What is your hardware Rhalph ? So Njeneb can compare easier .

leafspring

@njeneb: What are your specs?

Generally, Windows 7 is way better than XP and Vista in every aspect and I've yet to encounter a machine that can't handle it.
I'm using this system since the first beta and I've never had any problem. It's fast, sleek and stable.
Lang lang er vejen for Aslaug
Længe venter lykken på Kraka

Kadri

Quote from: Rimmon on April 27, 2010, 09:53:00 AM
@njeneb: What are your specs?

Generally, Windows 7 is way better than XP and Vista in every aspect and I've yet to encounter a machine that can't handle it.
I'm using this system since the first beta and I've never had any problem. It's fast, sleek and stable.

XP seems a little more responsive to me then Windows 7 here on our pc's . But this is maybe only me .
There are so many configurations out there it is sometimes hard to say , thus trying is the safest root in my opinion.
Of course i am not saying you are wrong  :)

Henry Blewer

Pentium 4 HT @3gHz   4 G memory    ATI Radeon 4300 512 mb DDR2  Dell 2310 monitor.

I had the release candidate of Windows 7 running on a different partition. There were not too many drivers available then.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Rhalph

My webcam is a "Logitech webcam nx pro".

Guys, you must keep in mind that all Vista drivers work with Win 7. Which is why there is a very good compatibility...

leafspring

Quote from: njeneb on April 27, 2010, 10:51:07 AM
Pentium 4 HT @3gHz   4 G memory    ATI Radeon 4300 512 mb DDR2  Dell 2310 monitor.

I had the release candidate of Windows 7 running on a different partition. There were not too many drivers available then.
Well, it was only an RC. Most of the hardware vendors out there were in the middle of developing drivers and only a few were able to actually push usable beta drivers at that time. But like Rhalph said, a lot of the older Vista drivers worked quite well. By now there shouldn't be any problem regarding drivers. I'd say give it a try and most likely you will benefit greatly from W7.
Lang lang er vejen for Aslaug
Længe venter lykken på Kraka

TheBlackHole

I only have 3 problems with Win7:
1. Anim8or doesn't work at all, doesn't even want to run
2. No 16-bit apps like Orbits, Nine Worlds, or Dance eJay 2
3. Windows Movie Maker isn't normally installed; Live Movie Maker looks like crap thanks to the timeline being removed; WMM 2.6 is the only downloadable version and it doesn't even support addon effects!
They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?

piggy

Win 7 is better than XP under one condition: When the CPU has 4 or more cores.

If what you have is a 2-core CPU, stick with XP.

If what you have is an older generation of 4-core CPU, stick with XP.

If your CPU is i7 or better, go for Win 7.

But before you go for Win 7, my advice would be check out newer releases of Linux distros such as Ubuntu.

reck

It's interesting to see the amount of people using Windows 7 x64 over Windows 7 x32. Looks like a lot of people are the using this release to move over to x64 in large numbers, compared to Vista. After using it for the best part of a year now I can see why there is such a positive buzz about it.

Edit: Just noticed one poor sap is using Terragen 2 with Mac OS 9,  ::)

Zairyn Arsyn

Quote from: reck on May 06, 2010, 03:36:13 AM
It's interesting to see the amount of people using Windows 7 x64 over Windows 7 x32. Looks like a lot of people are the using this release to move over to x64 in large numbers, compared to Vista. After using it for the best part of a year now I can see why there is such a positive buzz about it.

Edit: Just noticed one poor sap is using Terragen 2 with Mac OS 9,  ::)

i think they mean terragen classic, TG2 does'nt support Mac OS 9
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

nikita

Oops. I voted for Vista 64 but I'm actually using Windows Seven 64.