Right, i've got the gear, now what?

Started by Dr Death, May 05, 2010, 07:15:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oshyan

Quote from: PabloMack on May 07, 2010, 10:40:11 PM
Quote from: Oshyan on May 07, 2010, 08:19:51 PM
Actually, if you use a Surface Layer and use Y as altitude...

Certainly you don't really mean "Y" do you?  Don't you mean altitude relative to the "normal" of the planet's surface?  On the equator of the default planet, the Y axis becomes tangent to the planet's surface (and horizontal relative to anyone standing on that surface). 

Sorry, I meant use Y for *slope* (not altitude) constraints. For example, zoom out so you can see the planet, add a surface layer, turn on Test Color, and check both Max and Min Slope Constraints. Then set Max to 90, with 0 slope fuzzy zone. Set Min to 80, with 0 fuzzy zone. You should see a band around the equator as in the attached image (turned off the atmosphere to see it better).

- Oshyan

neuspadrin

Doing TG2 as a hobby I found I enjoy the way of learning by reading some threads, trying stuff out if I see something cool, etc.  Dissecting any posted clips helped me understand how the node network worked, and get and idea of how some cool tricks can be done by arranging shaders and such.  

Personally in my tutorials I try to avoid saying "Enter xyz in this field", and more just say "this is where you change this value to get these types of results" - as a lot of terragen for me is messing with the numbers finding a value that i feel works with the scene (which can take awhile sometimes ;)).  I don't want people coming out of my tutorial with the exact same thing as me (as for example, my video tutorial has a horrible result as I didn't take the time to find the values that I would be satisfied with). I want them to know where the values are that do that general thing, and then find the ones that work with their scene spending a bit more time learning.  And coming out with a unique piece of art.

I think one problem with new people is they need a way to know which values are the ones that are more important to change.  With so many options available they get overwhelmed.  But about 50-80% of settings on a given node will be ones you touch never and can basically ignore.  They are the ones you learn what they do when you come to needing them, or when you feel like just seeing what it does.

domdib

Quote from: neuspadrin on May 07, 2010, 11:53:36 PM
I think one problem with new people is they need a way to know which values are the ones that are more important to change.  With so many options available they get overwhelmed.  But about 50-80% of settings on a given node will be ones you touch never and can basically ignore.  They are the ones you learn what they do when you come to needing them, or when you feel like just seeing what it does.

Very good point.

Seth

But about 50-80% of settings on a given node will be ones you touch never and can basically ignore.

errr...  ???

Oh, you are speaking for beginner users right ? ^^

neuspadrin

Quote from: Seth on May 08, 2010, 02:16:36 PM
But about 50-80% of settings on a given node will be ones you touch never and can basically ignore.

errr...  ???

Oh, you are speaking for beginner users right ? ^^

Yes, I'm talking the first few scenes you make until you can really learn the program they need to learn to ignore the advanced settings.  But even then once you know the advanced stuff you won't tweak each and every setting in a given shader generally, its more of then knowing what it does so when you do need it you use it.

Seth

Maybe that depends of the users ^^
I usually tweaks almost every settings in several nodes (Powerfractals, water shaders, atmosphere, sunlight...)

Dr Death

Many thanks for all your replies. The project i'm actually working on is a 3d model of J.R.R. Tolkien's Beleriand, I've got a map which covers the area 1421.58km by 1421.58km but obviously it is going to be a challenge to get it all right (particularly on trial and error). So far what i've done is established an 'origin cam' at the north pole and placed a heightfield shader of the appropriate size on top centred on that on a power-fractal...ed planet and my tactic is basically going to be to 'sculpt' the landscape onto that. I'm quite intrigued by this 'painted shader' feature. What is it and will it be useful?

Dr Death

neuspadrin

Quote from: Dr Death on May 15, 2010, 01:46:48 PMI'm quite intrigued by this 'painted shader' feature. What is it and will it be useful?

It basically gives you a paint brush to go crazy with drawing where you want things to be.  It can be a lil finicky at times, and most definitely save up before using it.  Most notably, it will cause issues if you try to paint the sky (issues == it crashes).  Once you set it to use a painted shader, you can customize the flow and size of the brush etc.  Then up near the pause/reset buttons above the render preview you will see a little paint brush icon to the right.  You choose to start painting -> (pick your painted shader). Then in the render preview you will see a circle around your arrow showing where you would be painting.  Click to paint.  You can also switch to "eraser" mode using the same paint menu once you are in paint mode.

Good tip to speed things up: Before painting on your terrain, let the preview render finish (or get to 80 or so) of a good view of the area you wish to paint.  Then hit the pause button.  Once done painting, unpause it to see results.  Otherwise it takes forever as it tries to render each stroke you do.

Oshyan

Dr. Death, are you familiar with the Middle Earth DEM (Digital Elevation Map) Project? http://www.me-dem.org/

- Oshyan