Elephants in the mist (wip)

Started by Kevin F, May 07, 2010, 08:28:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin F

Here's an early version of another of my animal series.
Lots to improve and develop such as grass, ground cover etc., but quite decent so far.
Is the mist too low? should it be more spread out or just higher?

C&C welcome.

trees -Xfrog
elephants - 3daz
ferns - unknown (but free for non commercial use)
grass - Mr_Lamppost via Ashundar (I think)

domdib

I like the background trees. Are ferns typical ground cover in this kind of forest? Also, it's good that you have the shadow patterns in the mist, but they seem too regular. Not sure how you fix that.

kasalin

wonderful.... i find it perfect !!!! super with these elephants !!

dandelO

Wow, I love this already! Really cool. I'd only thin the mist, maybe by about half density and make the layer taller, it's quite an abrupt cut-off. Can the elephant textures be sharpened any? A wee bit blurry at such close range.

Really great, though! :)

Henry Blewer

The pictures make me nervous. Elephants are too large! Great render, Martin's suggestions are good.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Kevin F

Thanks for the comments. I agree the mist is too thick and "clumpy" and I think it needs to be higher. As for the skin textures, yes I'll increase the bump map effect and darken them maybe to be less blurred.
Oh and ferns do cover these forest areas ;D they're one of the earliest and most ubiquitous plants and are found all over the world (but I might change them!). Anyone know what the big shiney green leaves are that you see in jungles?

dandelO

QuoteAnyone know what the big shiney green leaves are that you see in jungles?

Plants? :D

Only kidding, I've no idea what the plants are. Sorry, that was just too good to resist!

Kevin F

Quote from: dandelO on May 07, 2010, 01:27:11 PM
QuoteAnyone know what the big shiney green leaves are that you see in jungles?

Plants? :D

Only kidding, I've no idea what the plants are. Sorry, that was just too good to resist!

best laugh I've had all day! :D :D :D :D

MGebhart

SWEET! Just a tad more displcement on the Elephants if you are going to render it again.

Good job.
Marc Gebhart

Kevin F

here's the latest version. more definition on the skin textures, less dense mist and higher up, and slight POV change. oh and some water!
Now if I could just get the middle one to spray some water!
C&C welcome

inkydigit

looking excellent Kevin...what about banana plant?...they have nice big shiny leaves?

Henry Blewer

I really like the sunbeams. The elephants look better also. 8)

Kevin F

Here's an update (but no mist).
This one has an improved skin texture for the elephants and slightly different POV with soft shadows enabled.
I gave up waiting for a mist version due to soft shadows AND raytraced mist shadows together taking so long (only half rendered after 20 hrs or so then a power cut!)
C&C welcome.

domdib

A pity about the mist, but the light through the trees is gorgeous. Nice work!

Henry Blewer

Great looking elephants. Sorry about the power difficulty.