Can I PAY someone to spoon feed me? !

Started by xtgirl, May 09, 2010, 06:19:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

otakar

Or was sent to the hospital after 48+ hours without a bathroom break...  ;D

PabloMack

Most likely her deadline expired and she had to go ahead with Plan B (e.g. something quick and dirty with Photoshop).  

neuspadrin

Quote from: PabloMack on May 11, 2010, 12:26:18 PM
Most likely her deadline has expired and she is now busy with Plan B (e.g. something quick and dirty with Photoshop).  

Yup.  Hopefully she will return and learn TG2 a little on the side so next project it would be perfect for, she'll be ready. 

xtgirl

Hi guys...

Thank you soooooo much for the HUGE help ---

I am soo sorry for not getting back to you all before now! I have cleared off all my 2D projects for the movie -- the goal posts have changed several times -- but I now have a clear deck for the Terragen SCARE MYSELF BEZERK PROJECT and have exactly 2 weeks to get a shot locked down and final!

I am going to start and read through all your replies methodically and see how I go...

THANK YOU and please don't go away.... !!  ;) ;)

I will keep you all posted!

cyphyr

You'll get the best feedback if you can show us as near as possible what your trying to achieve. Make up a story board from google image searches or something like that.
Looking forward to see what you come up with :)
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Goms

Yep, most people here like challenges. ;)
Show us what to to and i'm sure you get the help you need.
Quote from: FrankB
you're never going to finish this image ;-)

xtgirl

OKEYDOKEY!

Here's the first shot I need some hand holding on:

(I have created a very rough cutout of the green screen shot, to illustrate how my scene will fit into the comp)

The background is a basic Terragen Classic scene - file attached.

I need to:

1. Animate the water / waves for around 7 seconds

2. Create some cloud movement, to keep things looking realistic.

xtgirl

Incidentally --

I can't put my finger on it -- but there's something wrong with the perspective of the scene?

The guy in the foreground, is standing on a ladder to light the lantern - and its meant to be in an old harbour town, so we are looking beyond him, to the ocean behind.

Do you think maybe, my scene's POV should be different?

More like this, maybe?

Tangled-Universe

I'm not sure about which perspective is better. The second looks a bit better, but don't ask me why :)

Regarding the animations:

You can animate the water and clouds by using a translate node. (create node -> other node -> translate, if I'm correct).
Then for animating clouds first assess on which axis you would have to move the clouds.
Then create a translate-node and attach the cloud fractal to the shader-input of the translate node.
The output of the translate node goes into the input of the cloud-node.

Now in the translate-node you set a keyframe at frame 1. You can set keyframes by pressing the "function-thingy"-like symbol which is in front of virtually any parameter in TG2. (why it has this symbol and not something more trivial and easier to describe, don't ask me)
Then go to the final frame of your anim and enter the number of metres in the axis you want to have the clouds moved in. Then create another keyframe.
Now your clouds will move over that amount of metres along the axis in which you entered that value.

Same goes for animating the water. Feed the watershader into a translate-node. You can translate the water-function on the x- and z-axis, but for smooth moving ripples you must always translate in the Y-axis. You can then use the x- and z-axis for side-ward movement to mimic movement in a certain direction, but be careful because it can give odd results.

Jon West (Hetzen) made useful files available here:
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=7896.0

Good luck and please let us know how you're going.

Cheers,
Martin

xtgirl

Thanks Martin...

I think I'm a few steps away from animation yet...

I have imported my scene from TG as suggested.

Played with a few settings - added water and now have something... but I still feel a MILLION miles away!!

IT LOOKS COMPLETELY POOOOOHHH!!

Things that I have to change:

1.  Its daylight.  I need a very dark dusky - preferably moonlit sky.

2.  Clouds look like curdled milk

3.  Water is too transparent. I need it to be inky black really....

I attach my TG2 file.

xtgirl

I found this video...

It is so (almost) perfect, it makes me want to cry.

The creator says he used Terragen and Terranim... ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgc1VXb8g1c

FrankB

Hi,

the video you have posted doesn't look at all like your cutout example scene. Do you want a night sky or a sunset sky?

Regards,
Frank

xtgirl

Quote from: jritchie777 on May 09, 2010, 04:51:09 PM
Forgot to mention the best part.  You can use the painted shader technique on lots of different things in T2.  Population of trees - attach a painted shader to the blend by shader and paint where you want trees to appear.

Surface layers as well can be painted with great accuracy with this technique.  I found it originally here:
http://www.mrlamppost.com/tg2/guides/paintsky.htm

MrLampPost is a regular here and very talented.  I've used his tutorials to learn quite a bit.
Enjoy!
JR

Hey JR --

Just wanted to say thanks for this advice -- I tried to play with it -- and it looks like it could work well, once you get the hang of it - however - right now I don't have time for playing... (I have used up all my toilet breaks too!!!!)

I WANT ONE OF THOSE BRAIN FILE DOWNLOADS... like in the MATRIX!!

Come on Mr Lampost -- let me PLUG IN to your neurons !!! Pleeeeeze.  ;D

xtgirl

Quote from: FrankB on May 17, 2010, 02:17:13 PM
Hi,

the video you have posted doesn't look at all like your cutout example scene. Do you want a night sky or a sunset sky?

Regards,
Frank

Hi Frank -

I need night sky...

The video looks great for the water animation - and the perspective of the landscape etc.

Sorry to have confused the issue.

FrankB

Does this come closer to what you are looking for?

[attachimg=#]