Can I PAY someone to spoon feed me? !

Started by xtgirl, May 09, 2010, 06:19:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xtgirl

OK - its my own fault. I'm strictly a 2 D artist.

But I used to fiddle around with Terragen Classic and make lovely landscapes, in about 30 seconds flat.

Unfortunately -- I showed off a little TOO MUCH and when a project came up to create an ANIMATED COASTAL SCENE for a film we're working on --- I THOUGHT TERRAGEN WOULD BE THE PERFECT ANSWER!!

My boss went and bought me the FULL VERSION with ANIMATION of TERRAGEN 2.

Fully expecting me to come up with the goods in... well, about 30 seconds flat.

And... well...

I have been sitting here, for the last 48 hours, NON - STOP, not even a TOILET BREAK -- trying to get my head around it!

What are all those nodes things!! AND... why can't I just sculpt a scene like I want it... ??

Phew. Its a NIGHTMARE!!

I'm DESPERATE!

I'm willing to share my project fee (which isn't THAT generous, but its something!) with anyone who could help me AT LEAST GET STARTED with some sort of scene resembling what I need....

And then at least I can go from there!

FrankB

what do you need precisely? I'm sure we may be able to help collectively.
So waht kind of scene do you need?

cyphyr

Hi xtgirl :)
Its definitely do-able.
Please post some links to images that show the kind of scene that you need to create, that will help greatly. Also if you have experience with Terragen classic you could sculpt your terrain in there and export that as a .ter file that could then be loaded into Terragen 2.
:)
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Henry Blewer

There's a great group of people here. Let us know and see what is needed.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

MGebhart

Most of the members here are like the Borg, the Collective. I'm certain we can all pull together and get you up to speed.
Resistance is Futile.

You could PM some of the members to walk you through areas you don't understand. I know that would be OK with me.

Also, my confidence level is pretty high that you can keep your money.

This is a great group of folks.
Marc Gebhart

Hannes

I second that. I think no one here would take money for providing help and assistance.

dandelO

Quote from: Hannes on May 09, 2010, 11:04:30 AM
I second that. I think no one here would take money for providing help and assistance.

Exactly. It's a very helpful place here ranging from hobbyists to professional users. Post some project details/examples and I'm sure someone will be more than glad to help. :)

I'd definitely encourage you to get stuck in and play around with the software, it's very powerful, perhaps get some basic concept guidelines laid out and post them to this thread, we'd all pipe in with our own ideas and advices on how to create and achieve the specific results you're looking for.
Terragen 2 is worlds apart from the Terragen you're used to working with, in almost every area, if you're unsure about even laying down the basics, just ask, I'm sure you'll get help in the form of advice/example files/optimization techniques etc.

Welcome to Planetside forums. :)

PabloMack

Quote from: Hannes on May 09, 2010, 11:04:30 AM

I wouldn't accept money either.  These guys are mad at me enough as it is.   :D

dandelO

Not at all, Pablo. Make yourself at home. What's life without a little ruckuss every now and again? ;)
I see you have made some good progress with your Earth planet, if people were really mad, you'd have never gotten any help! :D

jritchie777

I found out recently how to use the painted shader, and much like Terragen Classic, you can paint the view you want.   I too have yet to figure out the "nodes" except to crash T2 consistently. For an example of what it can do -
1) Create a power fractal in the terrain tab.  (Add terrain, select Power Fractal)
2) Now you have a landscape tool, let's assign a paint brush to it.  Select the new terrain - it is listed as Fractal terrain 01.
3) You can now see a bunch of settings, the one in particular is at the bottom - a check box that says
"Blend by shader" - click it to turn it on.
4) Look for the small button with a plus sign and a small arrow on it for the "Blend by shader" textbox.
5) Click the small arrow - from the menu list select "Create new shader", "Color Shader", and finally "Painted Shader"

You now have a paint brush, so how to use it.  Scale down the node window - by using the middle divider that appears between the preview window and the node window so that the preview window is as large as you can make it - this becomes your canvas.

Above the preview window there are some buttons - "Pause", "Reset" etc.  Slide your mouse pointer over each to see what they are, the one we want is the "Start or stop Painted Shader..."
Click the button, and select "Painted Shader 01" - your new paintbrush.

Slide your mouse over the preview window and you will see that a circle appears - where ever you click or click and drag and "paint white color" is where your terrain will appear.  So you can literally paint your landscape.

This is just a quicky to get you playing, settnigs for the "Painted shader" is on it's property window which you get to now by clicking that plus sign button again and this time select "Go To Painted Shader 01", you can control the color you are painting with (not a real color applied - just a visual guide).  If I have more than one painter - I assign different colors to them to see them clearly on the preview window.  You can also set the size of the brush which is in meters.

Have fun, and as everyone as said already keep asking questions - the more specific the better answers we can provide.

Welcome to the forum!
JR

jritchie777

Forgot to mention the best part.  You can use the painted shader technique on lots of different things in T2.  Population of trees - attach a painted shader to the blend by shader and paint where you want trees to appear.

Surface layers as well can be painted with great accuracy with this technique.  I found it originally here:
http://www.mrlamppost.com/tg2/guides/paintsky.htm

MrLampPost is a regular here and very talented.  I've used his tutorials to learn quite a bit.
Enjoy!
JR

FrankB

... didn't seem to be *that* urgent in the end.

MGebhart

Marc Gebhart

Oshyan

I'm sure she's just off applying all the good advice! :)

- Oshyan

Henry Blewer

Maybe she read the other threads and downloaded some of the shared files. The shader files would be enough to make her look good for some time.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T