Can I PAY someone to spoon feed me? !

Started by xtgirl, May 09, 2010, 06:19:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xtgirl

Quote from: FrankB on May 17, 2010, 02:52:12 PM
Does this come closer to what you are looking for?

[attachimg=#]

Yiipppeeee!!

We have moonlight ... and we have ocean... and we have mountains in the distance!!

Can I play with it now??  I'm ready to try!!

I will perhaps have to change the POV a little bit -- mountains are too far away... and... will have to show a little bit more water... and there is a strong beam of moonlight falling on the subject in the front of my footage --- so I might need to add a water reflection of light??

FrankB

what I did was take this preset http://www.nwdanet.com/buy-packs/7-preset-packs/21-sunset-atmosphere-pack.html

add a lake object
add a 2nd planet (disable it's atmosphere)
add a lightsource the size of the 2nd planet at the same position of that planet and with the aapropriate strength
lowered the sun to -6 or so degrees

regards,
Frank

xtgirl

Quote from: FrankB on May 17, 2010, 03:16:44 PM
what I did was take this preset http://www.nwdanet.com/buy-packs/7-preset-packs/21-sunset-atmosphere-pack.html

add a lake object
add a 2nd planet (disable it's atmosphere)
add a lightsource the size of the 2nd planet at the same position of that planet and with the aapropriate strength
lowered the sun to -6 or so degrees

regards,
Frank

OK -- I'm adding a light source, but its not showing up at all?

I think its cos I don't know how to put it where I want it.

Can you maybe give me the settings you used?

FrankB

it's simple once you know how: copy the coordinates of your "moon". Paste these coordinates into the lightsource. Make the light source big enough (use the "moon" radius" and strong enough (think 10 to the power of 14 or 15 for starters).
I suggest you also have a look at getting the sunset pack though, to get a quickstart on some nice clouds, and atmosphere settings. Probably the fastest way to spoon feed yourself :D

Regards,
Frank

xtgirl

Thanks FRANK!

I have bought all those presets !

I'm going to start a new thread I think -- starting with where I'm now and more focussed advice needed: only to get you off the hook a little! (I'm sure you'll be exhausted soon by all my questions!)

My image now looks like this -

However -- I'm still aiming for this -

Oshyan

Just one quick note: I think TG2 is ultimately going to give you better results, *but* TG Classic *can* animate the two things you want to animate. Water actually animates automatically, and if your camera is static you should see it just moving without doing anything. Cloud position is one of the parameters you can adjust. Terranim and Campath both make this easy. So here's the thing: I don't want to discourage you from using TG2, it's outstanding and we want to see it used in projects like this. However, since you you seem to already have a scene you like, and will need some time to get up to speed with TG2, you could consider using TG Classic this time around. Just something to think about...

One thing I should say also is there are a lot less TG Classic experts around now to give help on it if you decide to go that route. But it's a lot simpler, so that may not be an issue.

- Oshyan

Henry Blewer

It may also be possible to 'translate' the shaders used in Terragen 0.9xxx into Terragen 2 shaders. They work similarly on the surface. The difference is that T2 allows more information to be input to the surface layer.
Because of the slow speed of my computer, I tend to use a surface layer with one power fractal. This is for coloring and often more small displacement. Even simple set ups can give very amazing results.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

xtgirl

Quote from: Oshyan on May 18, 2010, 01:41:03 AM
Just one quick note: I think TG2 is ultimately going to give you better results, *but* TG Classic *can* animate the two things you want to animate. Water actually animates automatically, and if your camera is static you should see it just moving without doing anything. Cloud position is one of the parameters you can adjust. Terranim and Campath both make this easy. So here's the thing: I don't want to discourage you from using TG2, it's outstanding and we want to see it used in projects like this. However, since you you seem to already have a scene you like, and will need some time to get up to speed with TG2, you could consider using TG Classic this time around. Just something to think about...

One thing I should say also is there are a lot less TG Classic experts around now to give help on it if you decide to go that route. But it's a lot simpler, so that may not be an issue.

- Oshyan

Hmmm.

You don't know how many times I have wanted to RETURN TG2 in exchange for a full copy of TG Classic... but I think I am going to try and hang in there... (Or spend some of my fee buying Classic, so I can use it properly when I need to!)

A few more bottles of red wine... a few more sleepless nights, and I am SURE to be able to produce SOMETHING clever very soon. Just keep watching!

;D ;D

Zylot

T2 is overwhelming, but ultimately it's the better choice.

It's just going to take time to learn the ins and outs, and the little tricks to make things work.