Why I Hate 3-D - Roger Ebert

Started by Kadri, May 01, 2010, 06:21:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leafspring

He is certainly right but after the success of Avatar we probably have to live with this crap anyway.
Lang lang er vejen for Aslaug
Længe venter lykken på Kraka

Oshyan

Spot on. I hope it passes just as the 3d fads of past decades did.

- Oshyan

latego

The problem is that to get the 3D effect, the images your eyes see must be equal. Even slight sight imperfections (which are never balanced on both eyes) break hopelessly the image fusion in the brain. This means that the only way to see 3D movies is either to have a perfectly balanced sight or wear well graded contact lenses.

The problem is 3D won't go away because
1) movie makers hope that this format won't be copiable in the short/medium term;
2) TV set builders dream of replacing en-masse the whole installed base.

I am very pessimistic for the future because if this thing happens I can kiss goodbye to movie (not a great problem, I go out only 3/4 times a year) and to TV (and this will be bad, because I watch it 1/2 hours every evening).

Let's hope I die before.

Bye.

Hannes

I totally disagree.
Don't get me wrong, but I have the vision of some grumpy old men sitting on a park bench grumbling about new things. "Who needs this stuff. I like silent movies! Colour TV? Crap! Blu-ray? I don't even need DVDs!"

Sometimes it really makes me a little bit angry when I read things like Roger Ebert's comments:
"It adds nothing essential to the moviegoing experience. For some, it is an annoying distraction. For others, it creates nausea and headaches."
Hey, Mr. Ebert, for some it's the most fascinating cinematic experience they had for years!

2. IT ADDS NOTHING TO THE EXPERIENCE.
Recall the greatest moviegoing experiences of your lifetime. Did they "need" 3-D? A great film completely engages our imaginations. What would Fargogain in 3-D? Precious? Casablanca?

Of course none of these movies need 3D! I don't even like b/w movies digitally colourized. Casablanca is black and white and good as it is. But that doesn't mean, that no one needs colour movies. IT CAN BE A DISTRACTION. I bet someone said something like this about colour movies these days!

IT CAN CREATE NAUSEA AND HEADACHES. 
Maybe. I didn't notice anything like that.

HAVE YOU NOTICED THAT 3-D SEEMS A LITTLE DIM?
No!

THERE'S MONEY TO BE MADE IN SELLING NEW DIGITAL PROJECTORS.
Of course!! There's money to be made in selling every new technology!
WHENEVER HOLLYWOOD HAS FELT THREATENED, IT HAS TURNED TO TECHNOLOGY: SOUND, COLOR, WIDESCREEN, CINERAMA, 3-D, STEREOPHONIC SOUND, AND NOW 3-D AGAIN.
Yes, It has. So what? What do you want? Go back to black and white movies with no sound?

I CANNOT IMAGINE A SERIOUS DRAMA, SUCH AS UP IN THE AIR OR THE HURT LOCKER, IN 3-D.
Why not? Maybe it's just a lack of your imagination?! Life is at least 3-dimensional. Why should a movie have less?

Latego wrote:
I am very pessimistic for the future because if this thing happens I can kiss goodbye to movie (not a great problem, I go out only 3/4 times a year) and to TV (and this will be bad, because I watch it 1/2 hours every evening).

Let's hope I die before.

I hope you don't!  :)
I think you can watch TV in 2D even in ten years, so no need to commit suicide!

I just had a similar discussion in a german forum this morning. Let's just wait what happens. Maybe in a few years nobody complains about 3D stereo anymore, because it's the usual way of watching movies or it's been cancelled.

When I read some comments about 3D stereo it sounds as if it's the end of the world. It's just movies, so let's all calm down.

Walli

Hannes, I fully agree.
I think 3D is hyped a lot at the moment and is pushed a lot - and as a result we get useless stuff. But Avatar was one of my greatest cinema experiences ever! I am not talking about the story as such. The visuals were thrilling (they are in 2D already) and 3D added a lot. And most of the  bad points that are mentioned - I didn´t notice them. To dark? For sure not (they made the 3D versions brighter to cope the darkening influence of the glasses). Colors not as good? I think they were striking. Headache? Me not. For me it took some minutes to understand one limitation - looking in a "virtual" 3D space, but not beeing able to choose my own focal plane. But after I understood that I simply have to follow the focus of the filmmaker, I had no problems. I remember probably two or three scenes where I thought, "that looks like a miniature", and few others which vwhere very fast and I almost couldn´t follow - but I have the same in 2D movies too.
I think there are several problems at the moment:
- not all cinemas are using latest technique
- most 3D movies are not real 3D movies (let it be because they were 3Dfied afterwards, or because the filmmaker didn´t realize that he has to film in a differen way)
- users have to get used. I am not sure if it is true, that for some people this won´t work, because of different eye distance and such factors

Of course you don´t need 3D for every film - many films never will work in 3D, simply because of the way they are shot and how the director filmed. But for sure there are movies where 3D can add a lot. As soon as the hype passes, filmmakers will start to use 3D when it makes sense - and I am looking forward to that.

nikita

Sound film is distracting, costly and causes nausea!

3D is just a tool. Like Spielberg with Schindler's List, directors will have to learn to decide whether a particular technology adds to the film.

I think we're going to see some nice new effects that make clever use of 3D. Of course, we'll also see some really bad 3D.

leafspring

Quote from: Walli on May 02, 2010, 10:46:55 AMI am not sure if it is true, that for some people this won´t work, because of different eye distance and such factors
It is. For example most people who suffer from strabismus are unable to experience 3D movies because the binocular vision is limited.
Lang lang er vejen for Aslaug
Længe venter lykken på Kraka

Kadri

Other opinions !

"The Problem With 3-D It hurts your eyes. Always has, always will."

http://www.slate.com/id/2215265

sjefen

I have not read trough all the post so I'm sorry if this has already been said.

The only way 3D is ever going to work perfectly is to have the images physically pop out of the screen (in whatever way they can manage to do that).
This way we can focus on what we want so that those objects, or whatever you are looking at, will be in focus. Today the movie decides the focus for you and this becomes a little problem. Cause.... I can feel that it has a little more depth, but when I then try to focus on something that is not the focus in the movie my whole brain is struggling to make sense of this as it never becomes clear for my eyes.

But then again... if they ever manage to make something like this, it will probably become scary just to watch animal planet with lions and elephants walking around in your living room :o

- Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Hannes

Well, then I'm a freak. I felt so comfortable when I was watching Avatar (twice).
(It's an interesting report, but I really hate headlines like these! Not yours, Kadri! ;D)

Marcos Silveira

Sounds a little like Charles Chaplin when he wondered why would anyone watch a movie with sound anyway!!!!
LOL

Marcos Silveira

Quote from: Oshyan on May 02, 2010, 12:51:11 AM
Spot on. I hope it passes just as the 3d fads of past decades did.

- Oshyan

Why?!?!?? And, by the way, I WANT MY TG IN 3D!!!!!!!

Marcos Silveira

Quote from: Hannes on May 02, 2010, 05:44:21 PM

Well, then I'm a freak. I felt so comfortable when I was watching Avatar (twice).
(It's an interesting report, but I really hate headlines like these! Not yours, Kadri! ;D)

The same for me, Hannes!! And look, I use glasses!!! Isn't It marvelous?!?!

Kadri

Guys just that you know : I didn't see any 3D movie so far . Thus i don't want to comment much.
But here are good thoughts from every side i think . I don't have much to say more .

And Hannes i hate such  headlines too :D