Caribbean...finally done!

Started by Hannes, May 17, 2010, 02:48:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

domdib

Stunning - although I do fear for the ship, being so close to those rocks!

Hannes

So do I.
I completely reworked the terrain, so the ship is safe. ;)

Zairyn Arsyn

Wowwww :)... those two short clips are Incredible, well done capt' Hannes  :D

how did you get the the foam to go along the side of the ship?
it looks awesome
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

Hannes

I hope that I'm able to explain this! ;D
The foam is a thin cloud layer. It's masked with another cloud fractal that's vertically animated through a transform shader to get some kind of turbulence. The same cloud fractal is also used as a breakup shader for a white material to get the foam patterns inside the wake. As I said it's only animated vertically. To make it move with the ship I merged the cloud fractal mask with a painted shader that has the shape of the wake and is animated with the ship. So the cloud fractal stays in place but is made visible where the animated painted shader appears.
For the white caps I used the same masking technique but animated the cloud fractal additionally in the horizontal direction in sync with the wave patterns of the lake object's water material.

Btw here's a lighting test

Zairyn Arsyn

i guess thats a good enough explanation,
works for me

this new render looks Sweet :)
i agree with kadri, bigger.
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

Hannes

OK!
This is the original render. It took 13 hours to render! :(
I already spotted the parallel lines on the left part of the water. I had forgotten to enable microvertex jittering.

(just saw these strange patterns on the sails. Don't know what this is ???)

Hannes

otakar

This is going to be fantastic. Add some matching music and it'll be a delight to see the movie, no doubt. Great accomplishment on the sails. Did not know this was possible.

N810

Hmmm... wonder what this button does....

rcallicotte

I see Russel Crowe at the bow!

Any way we can get a tutorial on how you do the animated foam?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?