Using the Distance shader

Started by choronr, June 18, 2010, 06:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

choronr

One of the confusing things to me is the use of the Distance shader; which, in the case of cloud positioning could be very useful - but, how does one know to select the proper numbers for close and far distance if you don't have a point of reference? I would appreciate any information on this ...thanks.

dandelO

I see what you mean.

You could try opening the density shader preview window and enabling the measure tool function. If you zoom out to a further preview than the default 1km, you have a distance measurement device for the clouds.

[attachimg=#]

:)

choronr

Brilliant; thanks Martin - this will now make some sense. I appreciate your reply.

dandelO

It only gives you a Z-depth distance, of course, not a height measurement.
I'd love a measuring device for actual points on volumetric clouds, for example, too, instead of just the distance to the background node sphere when you click/mouse-over a portion of sky. This would be very hard to implement into TG2, though, I assume.

Dune

What I sometimes do is plug the distance shader into the color input of a last (test) surface shader, raise your viewpoint and thus adjust the gradient. Hope this helps.

---Dune

choronr

Quote from: Dune on June 20, 2010, 03:49:15 AM
What I sometimes do is plug the distance shader into the color input of a last (test) surface shader, raise your viewpoint and thus adjust the gradient. Hope this helps.

---Dune
Thanks Dune; I will be looking into this method ...sounds interesting.