Lighting problem

Started by AnKOu, November 03, 2010, 03:38:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnKOu

Hi, I created a skybox for a l4d2 campaign and when I test my skybox ingame, I've got a strange result.

-> http://uppix.net/b/f/7/7bc146b5e1b3ea9bd03ca30391e7f.jpg

I do not understand why it doesn't work well.

Have you any idea?

Thanx and sorry if I made some mistake i'm french.

Henry Blewer

I think it is how the lighting is setup in the game. Blender gets the same drop off and mismatched surface illumination. A hemisphere might work better for the sky, instead of a cube.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

AnKOu

Thx for your answer, but it isnt the game, because when i look the picture with Windows, there is the same problem.

The top of my front view is green whereas the coresponding edge of my up view is just blue.

Besides, I can't make an emisphere because the way to make sky in the source engine is skybox

Tangled-Universe

This is likely due to differences in GI among your different renders.
I suppose you rendered these with GI?
For every render of the same picture the renderer comes with a slightly different GI solution which can introduce slight differences. These differences are always most prominent in the atmosphere.

You could try to increase GI blur radius a bit too smoothen it out. Be careful not to increase it too much since it will remove a lot of nice details in your clouds.
Normally it is set at 8, so try to improve it to 16, 32 etc., but not above 100 I'd say.

Martin

AnKOu

I tried to set the GI blur radius to 64, but I didn't saw any variations then i try 128, no variation again :/

Do you want that I give some information? I'm a beginner with terragen and I don't know what could help you to understand the problem  :-\

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: AnKOu on November 03, 2010, 07:41:03 PM
I tried to set the GI blur radius to 64, but I didn't saw any variations then i try 128, no variation again :/

Do you want that I give some information? I'm a beginner with terragen and I don't know what could help you to understand the problem  :-\

If you could make a .tgd with all the 5/6 cameras set up for each side of the cube and then post it here?

AnKOu

here is the .tdg in attachment

Tangled-Universe

Thanks. I'll be home in about 4 hours and will take a look at it tonight.

AnKOu

Tangled-Universe

Ok, first I rendered the "Up" camera and then the "West" camera.
I ended up with a faint seam near the edges of the image, but I think it's not that hard to remove those:
Here's how it looks glued together so far.
What do you think?

AnKOu

The result is pretty good, but i'm not sure to understand how you proceed .

You have rendered the two views separately and them glue them together? But how have you done to get the correct seam (colors matching)?

Then do I should repeat this process with the west&north and west&south views?

Besides, I would like to keep the green of the original view (attachment) is that possible? Or maybe I could modify the up view in photoshop or other to match the up colour with the others?

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: AnKOu on November 04, 2010, 03:30:37 PM
The result is pretty good, but i'm not sure to understand how you proceed .

You have rendered the two views separately and them glue them together? But how have you done to get the correct seam (colors matching)?

Then do I should repeat this process with the west&north and west&south views?

Besides, I would like to keep the green of the original view (attachment) is that possible? Or maybe I could modify the up view in photoshop or other to match the up colour with the others?

The result I posted is straight from the renderer. I merged the two pictures in photoshop and did nothing about the seams.
Unfortunately I'm not sure if I can elaborate about how I'm rendering this due to NDA reasons.
One other side also has seams I see now, so it's not watertight.
Looking at your scene and setup I'm strongly thinking you might even get rid of GI completely and then render it. 100% sure it will be seamless then.

AnKOu

I just tried to not enable the GI but it "break" everything, I havn't the blue fog and so on.

Then I will try to correct the up in photoshop by playing with hue/saturation/color, I think I can succeed.

It is just like there was a color overlay over.

Thank for your help again.

domdib

Have you tried Microsoft's free ICE panorama stitcher? It's pretty good at getting rid of seams.

AnKOu

I've some difficulties with photoshop then i tried your software but it doesnt solve my problem.

Thanx for your answer :)