3 grands cascade.

Started by bla bla 2, December 19, 2010, 08:19:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bla bla 2

Bonjour a tous,
j'ai fait un paysage, c'est un grand canyon et je veux créer 3 grandes cascades : une à droite, une au fond de l'image et la dernière à gauche. Sachant qu'en bas du canyon, il y a un lac.

J'utilise quels nodes pour faire une cascade réaliste ?

Hi everyone,
I have made a landscape, it's a big canyon and i want to create 3 big waterfalls : One on the left, one in the background and the last one on the left. And they flow in a lake.

What nodes must I use to make a realistic waterfall ?

Henry Blewer

Dune has done the best work on waterfalls so far. I believe he warped a plane to follow the terrain, then built up the texturing. I am not sure how this is done.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

blackcat

I, too, would like to see someone come up with a realistic waterfall. I took a tour through the forums and have seen some very noble attempts---but so far nothing that's been genuinely realistic (all of which is not to say I haven't overlooked the perfect example!). I think it would help a lot to look closely at how real waterfalls work. Landscapes have a kind of anatomy: they look the way they do for a reason. Just as one shouldn't make up a figure from scratch without having a good knowledge of human anatomy and some background in drawing from life (and Poser is no substitute for this: it's one of the reasons such figures generally look awful), one should also understand how and why landscapes and landscape features work and look the way they do. TG2 is an astonishingly powerful tool (and goodness knows how much I appreciate that!), but I think successful use of it depends a great deal on making it do what you want it to, even if you have to do that at gunpoint. Sometimes, as I've discovered, it's simpler, easier and more effective to create an object or effect in post render. But I always try to give TG a fair shot at it first. I'm confident that someone is going to not only find a way to create a really good waterfall, but also by using a technique that's relatively simple, direct and broadly applicable.

For bla bla I would suggest finding photos of some waterfalls that resemble as much as possible the ones he wants and have them at his side as he tries to recreate them in his landscape. I think having some real-life models would stand him in very good stead.

neuspadrin

Heres a couple of methods across the forum that might be useful:

Something like a water based version:
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=9961.msg103924#msg103924
Mixed with an ability to paint it:
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=8793.msg115607#msg115607

Or cloud based:
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=6454.msg68227#msg68227

Or perhaps a mix of these methods for the best result?

Goms

nooooo - waterfalls again.
i'm on it
Quote from: FrankB
you're never going to finish this image ;-)

Goms

hmmm... with the new functions tg2 offers for cloud controls and some patience its not looking that bad.

Tangled-Universe

That looks pretty cool. I think from a greater distance it would be pretty convincing!

bla bla 2

Goms

Just wrote it on my "things to do after finals"-list :D
(only 3 days left!!!)

I think with some more tweaking and better fractals this could look quite good.
I will post results :)

neuspadrin

Quote from: Goms on December 19, 2010, 05:24:59 PM
Just wrote it on my "things to do after finals"-list :D
(only 3 days left!!!)

I think with some more tweaking and better fractals this could look quite good.
I will post results :)

Hah ouch thats a bummer, my finals just finished last week. Gluck to you! 

Great work on combining the cloud and water based though its looking good.  And yeah I think the new cloud abilities will help make it even easier to create.

Dune

That's looking good, Goms. I think, blabla, you need to smooth the terrain where the falls are, worn off by the water. I look forward to see some results here.

blackcat

Waterfalls in scenes of early Mars...