Thread error when using crop region (renders fine without crop)...?

Started by Floating.Point, February 12, 2011, 01:53:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Floating.Point

Hi there,
Ive just run into an issue tonight...
I am rendering an image which requires a high detail setting of 2
When I render the image as a whole it renders fine
But as soon as I use a crop, it throws an unknown thread error as soon as I click render :(
Any ideas?
Thanks,
-FP

Oshyan

Strange, I haven't seen that kind of problem yet. I presume you're using the latest 2.2 update (remember that there was an update for licensed TG2 users when the free version was released a couple weeks ago).

What are your thread and render buffer settings? Have you tried changing the size of the render buckets?

- Oshyan

Floating.Point

Running TG 2.2
on 8 core 2.8ghz xeon 32gb ram
Windows 7 x64

Tried with various thread settings to no avail.
1thread max -> 16thread max
Also various cache sizes
400 -> 1000 cache
Also tried enabling pre cache... No luck :(

How would u suggest I alter the bucket settings to troubleshoot further?

Kadri

Quote from: Floating.Point on February 12, 2011, 01:53:03 PM
When I render the image as a whole it renders fine

Excuse me but i do not understand the problem!
If your image renders fine as a whole why do you try to render in crops ?
If you do not go until the end with the whole render  maybe the error would kick in in a later time!
Just speculation of course.

Quote from: Floating.Point on February 12, 2011, 01:53:03 PM
But as soon as I use a crop, it throws an unknown thread error as soon as I click render :(

Floating.Point  , did you try to change the area of the crop render?
Vertical to horizontal or in different places on the image with different size?

dandelO

As Oshyan says, you can change the size of each render tile, try making a crop render, the render bucket without auto reduction, and a tile size larger than the cropped area. Then it should render as one piece, hopefully without bucket errors. Or, try just rendering the crop region with one thread.

Floating.Point

@kadri

The image renders fine/completes as a whole, but I would like to increase the resolution by about 3 times for a big printable final rnder- which will certainly not be able to render as a whole. I have tried different size crops right Down to a tiny little thumbnail with no luck

@DandelO

I will have a play with the bucket controls and report back tonight!

Oshyan

I don't have any specific recommendations regarding the bucket controls. I would be very curious to see if this error could be reproduced on a different system though. If so it could be a good test case for renderer troubleshooting. I'm curious though why detail of 2 is required. This is extremely rare.

- Oshyan

Floating.Point

I'm rendering a shallow lake and need detail below the surface. Such a shame we are forced to have reduced detail for underwater surfaces :( control over this parameter would be useful in this case.

Oshyan

Floating.Point

Update:

After 2 restarts... I cannot seem to replicate the problem.
Crops are rendering fine now!!
I have a feeling it might be a problem with my system (rather than TG2.2)... For now things seem okay!
Im due for a re-imaging of my machine anyway- if I encounter this odd issue again I will reinstall windows on a fresh partition and go from there.
Thanks everyone!

Oshyan

Thanks for keeping us updated. Glad to hear it seems not to be a problem with TG2. It did seem quite odd!

- Oshyan