Cost of Terragen 2

Started by Wayne B, March 29, 2007, 08:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wayne B

:-\
Could someone tell me what the cost is of Terragen 2.0?
Do I really need a commercial edition if I am just starting out trying to sell my art work and have had no sales?
Seems steep....for a one man operation...or is it? Not sure? Would like some help in this area please...
Thanks...much appreciated...Is there a seniors discount if you are 65?
Wayne

old_blaggard

Currently you need to buy the Deep license to be able to sell your images.  It might seem a bit steep, but when you think about it, comprable software like Mojoworld ($300) and Vue (up to $500 or something) is actually priced higher.  So while in the context of the whole software market it's pretty expensive, in the 3D landscape niche, TG2 is a bargain.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Allegro

I agree, for a single man, amateur who's just getting into it, it is a bit much to spend.  I certainly felt the same way about Photoshop when it was the first application that I'd ever used.

The thing about commercial licenses, is that they never take the scale of the purchaser's business into account.

However, the thing is, is that when you *are* selling your artwork, the software is overhead, and by selling a picture or two, you should be able to earn it back

Oshyan

Pricing during the pre-release is $199 for a Terragen 2 Deep commercial license and $299 for a Deep + Animation license. If you are a registered owner of Terragen 0.9 you are entitled to a $99 discount. There is also an educational discount for qualifying registrants. We do not provide a senior discount at this time (I'm actually not aware of any software companies that do, but it's an interesting thought).

Registration is necessary for any commercial use of Terragen 2 including but not limited to selling images rendered or composed of rendered elements from Terragen 2, use of TG2 rendered imagery in games, films, and other video work, etc.

Further details are available on our pre-purchase page here:
http://planetside.co.uk/terragen/tg2/prepurchase_tg2.shtml

You should also be aware that these prices are only valid during the pre-release period and may change at any time. We will definitely be increasing prices for the final commercial release. At that time you can expect pricing to be competitive with similar applications.

- Oshyan

nvseal

Oshyan, will TG 2 Deep ever be offered without the added cost of a commercial license (practically a hobbyist version)? or perhaps a non-commercial TG 2 Deep for education?

Njen

Quote from: Wayne B on March 29, 2007, 08:47:15 PM
:-\
Could someone tell me what the cost is of Terragen 2.0?
Do I really need a commercial edition if I am just starting out trying to sell my art work and have had no sales?
Seems steep....for a one man operation...or is it? Not sure? Would like some help in this area please...
Thanks...much appreciated...Is there a seniors discount if you are 65?
Wayne

This has come up a couple of months before, and I must say now what I said back then that it really is relatively cheap to purchase a license of TG2 compared to other hobbies.

But even so, if you are preparing to sell your images, then of course you should buy it. Do you think anyone starting a business should get stuff for free just because they haven't sold anything yet? By that regard, I could say to a landlord "I want to rent this studio to produce my artwork in, but I am just starting out, so do I really need to pay rent?"

Other people compared the price of TG2 to some programs, but other full, dedicated 3D programs cost in the many thousands of dollars. TG2 is a bargain for a full license.

Cyber-Angel

All I can say about this is at the end of the day, the final. commercial edition of TG2 will cost more then you think but not as much as you imagine.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel

Oshyan

nvseal, we do offer an educational discount for qualifying users. The also intend to continue making a completely free version available after final release, albeit with similar limitations to today. It only makes sense to limit the free version somewhat, of course. We will make additional purchase options available at various price levels when possible. Hopefully we will have a version of TG2 that is affordable to everyone ultimately.

- Oshyan

littlecannon

To me Terragen 2 is a bargain, as most packages cost far more than this... $200 outlay is peanuts for a business purchase really and you should make your money back if you're selling these images. I have paid for the product and that's just for personal use as the registered product produces much better results (larger image sizes, better detail and AA + more).

When you consider some 3D apps (and I know TG2 isn't a full modelling package) that sell for thousands, it is cheap.

I would recommend buying the deep version for still images... the amount of exploring and fun kinda pay for it.

Simon.
I just need to tweak that texture a bit more...