Terragen 64 bit crashed. Render error.

Started by PiotrT36, April 28, 2011, 11:10:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PiotrT36

What is the reason of the error happend in my project? Error message window as well as the project are attached to this topic.

PiotrT36

... and it is not memory. ~2.5 GB of total 8GB RAM was allocated after crash (Windows 7/64 ).

Tangled-Universe

Which render node did you use in this project?

You're pushing the limits, may be, with the fractal terrain which has 24 octaves because the smallest scale is 1cm (0.01m). What happens if you set the smallest scale to 1m and render it again?

PiotrT36

I've  changed the min scale to 1m according to your suggestion and error occured again. But smallest  scale of the fake stone surface shader was 0.001 (1mm!). When I changed it to 0.01 the error disappeared!  Why small scale (0.001) is so harmful? Any ideas?

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: PiotrT36 on April 28, 2011, 02:42:37 PM
I've  changed the min scale to 1m according to your suggestion and error occured again. But smallest  scale of the fake stone surface shader was 0.001 (1mm!). When I changed it to 0.01 the error disappeared!  Why small scale (0.001) is so harmful? Any ideas?

I noticed that setting too, but didn't suspect it directly, since problems with small scales on stones often results in a very dark render because it somehow messes up the GI/Lighting.
Not sure why it happens in general, but it's good you've sorted it out!

In my experience the safest smallest scale for fake stones is 0.005m. Perhaps you could try that. Still should give a nice bump with a displacement factor of 0.0025.

cyphyr

If you absolutely have to have very small scale stones (or any other shader below or about 0.001) add a distance shader to its blend input. At that scale you wont be able to see much detail beyond a few metres away (if that) and even if it did render with no errors it's only adding to your render times.
See below :)
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: cyphyr on April 29, 2011, 06:30:37 AM
If you absolutely have to have very small scale stones (or any other shader below or about 0.001) add a distance shader to its blend input. At that scale you wont be able to see much detail beyond a few metres away (if that) and even if it did render with no errors it's only adding to your render times.
Richard

I think TG2 is already quite effectively reducing that Richard, it might even take longer:

See here:
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=10445.0

cyphyr

Thanks, hadn't seen that post (or forgot seeing it :) ). Interesting the speed difference is so small.
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Matt

cyphr and T-U, the kind of blending you're taking about could be useful to eliminate these errors, I guess, but I haven't tested it. From what I understand of the bug, it is only a problem as the surface gets far away from the world origin.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.