Volcano II

Started by Dune, June 09, 2011, 03:52:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

That should work, theoretically. Curious to see what you come up with.

Dune

Another version.

inkydigit

that ash cloud/smoke is awesome!

inkydigit

Quote from: freelancah on June 13, 2011, 07:41:48 AM
I thought about making a cone shaped cloud  by projecting a circle thru a camera that was facing upwards.. The camera FOV controls the cone angle and that gets warped with twist and shear and a power fractal.. .. Also a distance shader with a camera placed to a specific place to get a more massive cloud to the back of the smoke trail..  If you modify the projected circle towards an ellipse you could get different kind of shapes..Like more windblown effect etc...

I havent tested this yet...just a thought but I imagine it should work. Will try this evening :P

I used a conical cloud bounded by a 1 pixel image(white png) projected using several cameras to eliminate the squareness, I could have used a circle though...
here is the link:

http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=11473.msg117359#msg117359
:)
I dont mean to Hijack Ulco...
:)

freelancah

There was an issue with projecting it with camera. It apparently does not warp. I think it misses some "get texture coord" thingy that is vital for the warper to function. Not sure yet, havent had time to read on it yet.
Anyhow I got it working when I used simple shape shader instead of camera projected cloud. Rendering some examples atm

Tangled-Universe

Looking great Ulco!

To emphasize the scale of the scene you could consider adding trees, especially some nice firs for instance :)
A specific reason for me to actually do this is because I think the thick snow somehow messes with the scale of your mountain.
It makes the mountain look like a bump, rather than a huge ass volcano. Somehow.
I think adding trees and maybe a tad bit more haze fixes this.

Quote from: freelancah on June 15, 2011, 10:17:29 AM
There was an issue with projecting it with camera. It apparently does not warp. I think it misses some "get texture coord" thingy that is vital for the warper to function. Not sure yet, havent had time to read on it yet.
Anyhow I got it working when I used simple shape shader instead of camera projected cloud. Rendering some examples atm

A through camera projection uses "world coordinates" while you need "texture coordinates" to apply a warp to it.

Dune

Thanks again, Martin, also for your PM+attachment. I had some trees along the way, but deleted them again, not being satisfied. I've now put 3 pops in (+ extra haze), but I'll probably change the surface, perhaps even into something completely different, like a forest+meadows. Once I got the volcano+cloud alright. I realize the former has a better cloud.

Henry Blewer

The trees help with the sense of scale. This has been a great thread to watch.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Seth

the trees look very big to me.
it looks less huge now than without them.
maybe just a matter of taste though

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Seth on June 17, 2011, 11:19:31 AM
the trees look very big to me.
it looks less huge now than without them.
maybe just a matter of taste though

I agree. The way I envision it is with trees 2 or 3 times smaller.

Seth

choronr

I agree that the trees could be smaller it suit the scale of the terrain; also, perhaps the smoke could widen as it approaches higher elevations. The effect of wind moving the smoke to the right the smoke is good. In all, I know you will be tweaking this very good creation some more. 

Dune

I agree. Started out with the 'wrong' dimensions. The whole volcano is actually only about 500m wide. On this next try the trees are already reduced to 0.7 times their original size and then again sizes from 0.4-0.9. I think I'll start from scratch with world sizes for the volcano (which I might want to make differently anyway, perhaps WM), or reduce the trees more if necessary.
I am now struggling to get the cloud cone right (softness distribution, angle, angle smoothness, starting height, width, cloud settings); it's getting more complicated the more I want to refine, and I actually would like to keep it simple (for my own sake, or I won't understand anymore what I did yesterday). Will be followed up...

Perhaps I should call it 'Baby Volcano'.

DutchDimension

Coming along very nicely Dune.

Here's some more reference/inspiration for you, courtesy of Chile:
http://blogs.publico.es/mesadeluz/4195/el-volcan-puyehue

freelancah

Keep it up. Looks much better! I got inspired by this and decided to revive my old volcano project too :P