Terragen Fails at startup

Started by nesthead, July 15, 2011, 07:21:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry Blewer

Yep, these have been tried. I find the head phones (Logitech) do not have any problems. I use those. The good news is that in a while I'll have my new computer built. I may save up for a laptop after that. The Dell can be recycled. (It's been a good friend :'()
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

AndyWelder

I too do encounter the same problem that nesthead reported. It's on a brand new Toshiba Satellite Pro C660-1KP running Win7 Pro with a nice quad core Intel CPU but also with a modified ATI video-card/chip.
No TG2 for me while away from home, bummer... And I doubt the boss will buy me another one just because TG2 isn't running on this one.

"Ik rotzooi maar wat aan" Karel Appel

Oshyan

What is "modified" with the ATI graphics system?

- Oshyan

AndyWelder

QuoteWhat is "modified" with the ATI graphics system
No idea: The driver from the error report is an ATI driver, according to Windows though the hardware identifier belongs to a Intel graphics chip and Intel drivers are required. IntelĀ® Driver Update Utility however identifies this as a modified chip and points me to the manufacturer of the notebook: A customized computer manufacturer driver is installed on your computer. The Intel Driver Update Utility is not able to update the driver. Installing a generic Intel driver instead of the customized computer manufacturer driver may cause technical issues. Contact your computer manufacturer for the latest driver for your computer.

Oshyan

Strange. I know Nvidia and Intel do a dual graphics chip configuration where the Intel part is used for lower power modes. So in that case you do have 2 graphics systems. Not sure if ATI does anything similar.

Again you can try turning down graphics acceleration to see if that makes a difference. Or if your ATI control panel allows you to customize graphics settings per-application you could try doing so just for TG2.

- Oshyan

Henry Blewer

Does the graphics chip//card  use the Catalyst control panel? The GL settings maybe set for triple buffering. Try turning that off. It only speeds up text and flash video. Everything else I have ever used hates it.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

AndyWelder

There's no such thing as the Catalyst control panel or its ATI counterpart on the notebook, I'd wish; only thing there is is a pretty basic (read crappy) Intel graphic options screen.
But this not a big issue for me, after all, it's a notebook from work and I'll use it for work related things were Open GL and such are not an issue: Sniffer doesn't require Open GL  :)
Just hope someone who's about to buy a new notebook and run TG on it keeps what's written here in mind.

nesthead

After I had returned my c660 to amazon I emailed toshiba support to try to get an idea of whether it was possible to buy a toshiba that would not have the problem.  The response was that the files listed in the error were never loaded on the laptop I had. 

So in addition to selling me an ideosynchratic (or non working) laptop they were now calling me a liar.  I pointed out how effective their new customer relations strategy was going to be and went and bought a samsung which so far has done all I asked of it.

There is something not what it should be and I have perhaps been lucky that buying from amazon I was able to easily return the faulty item.  If I had followed all the suggestions, including flashing the bios and updating every driver in sight I am not sure that I would have been able to do that without much more of a problem.  Why computer manufacturers still think it is ok to sell non-working equipment is beyond me.