mixing shaders

Started by 149047, August 22, 2011, 06:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi all!
Is there a chance I can mix say a powerfractal shader with a a water shader in such a way, that eg. the base of a rock looks like made of water that gradually becomes rock?
thanks for reading
Markus

Oshyan

It sounds like you would just want to control the distribution of one of your shaders by altitude. This can be done with a Surface Layer for example (see Altitude Constraints tab), or using a Distribution Shader as the Blend Shader input for many other shader types. Water is implemented as a shader as well as part of the Lake object, but in your case I think you would want to use the shader, otherwise the water's edge would be very sharp at the altitude of the lake. Still, it is not entirely clear what you want to achieve, whether it is actual water (which generally has a specific water level and a sharp-ish border), or simply wet surfaces, or actually having a rock appear to be "made of" water (which is more difficult and problematic).

- Oshyan

Dune

Here's a bit of a setup I just made for you, open for improvement of course. Hope it helps.

just what i was looking for - fascinating :)
thank you guys - that helped a lot !!!

btw: if i wanted to create an object completely out of fog/clouds would the cloud shader be the only choice?

bobbystahr

Quote from: 149047 on August 23, 2011, 04:17:36 PM
just what i was looking for - fascinating :)
thank you guys - that helped a lot !!!

btw: if i wanted to create an object completely out of fog/clouds would the cloud shader be the only choice?
you could try that...I had no luck when I did but a fresh approach and some luck could go a long way
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Kadri

Quote from: 149047 on August 23, 2011, 04:17:36 PM

If you want to try some objects out of cloud you could look here:
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=12124.0
The TGD file is there in page 2 .
There are other links too to other Terragen 2 user projects.

You can create objects with displacement and so but i would use objects made with a dedicated modeler of any kind.
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=12248.0
Kind of a hard to read thread ...

Not sure what you want  , 149047 ?