The Wall

Started by Dune, September 05, 2011, 02:31:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Two simple shapes differenced for a soft ring. Next step is to make a window...

Another 2 simple shapes. Just a POC (nice ABB)  ;)

Dune

Final Wall.

choronr

Quote from: Dune on September 11, 2011, 03:11:02 AM
Two simple shapes differenced for a soft ring. Next step is to make a window...

Another 2 simple shapes. Just a POC (nice ABB)  ;)
This one makes me want to learn how to do this ...excellent creativity.

Dune

Another wall.

otakar

Ok, Dune, I need a hint on how to get the Fake stones to show up on the verticals. You are using the displacement function of the Simple Shape shader to raise it, right?

Love the walls, btw. Something I thought was not possible procedurally in TG.

Dune

It's a mask, but I think it should be possible with some blue functions to get some sort of stairs, or a series of simple shapes added up or something. Then you indeed raise it with a displacement shader. But the trick is to get the computed terrain to think it's a flat area, hence you set compute terrain to smooth terrain. You can mask this area out if you need unsmoothed terrain afterwards, for instance for displacement intersection+smoothing. You may also have to set the patch size to something very small, like 0.1-1. Then add the fake stones in a surface layer, masked out by a slightly larger mask, or by height.
It's very tricky, and I'm not gonna give away more than this  ;) You can figure it out, no doubt.

otakar

Thank you. Yes it is tricky, getting some funky rocks but I get the general idea.

j meyer

Hi Dune,
i'd like to know where do you have the displacement from the mask going,before or
after the compute terrain? I'm asking,because i've played with similar things earlier
and recently and i never had to fiddle with patch size and smoothing,but ran into
problems when i had the displ (for the basic wall) after the compute ter.

Btw very nice greens on the lower parts of kadetrap-v3!

Dune

Before compute, and thanks!