Simple function for terraces or extruded strata

Started by FrankB, September 21, 2011, 10:52:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

efflux

I've never used the Strata and Outcrops in this way. Just never got around to experimenting with it. I'll look at this file. Reason being, choronr mentioned Bryce Canyon. Well I can tell you that Bryce Canyon is replicatable in TG2. I have a technique to create that broken up vertical eroded look. I haven't specifically gone for Bryce Canyon replication but it will work. Strata and Outcrops, especially with overhangs should fit in nicely. There are a few things that will probably all land at once from me here in the next few weeks. I'll probably start a thread soon with some WIP renders of what I'm currently working on because nothing is in finished picture form. I'm going in dozens of directions at once and can't finish anything for what I'd call a final render.

choronr

Frank, what I'd really like to see is your setting for the strata (that which is posted in your image here) - would really appreciate that ...thanks in advance.

Bob

FrankB

Quote from: choronr on February 24, 2012, 03:55:54 PM
Frank, what I'd really like to see is your setting for the strata (that which is posted in your image here) - would really appreciate that ...thanks in advance.

Bob

HI Bob,

but this is it. That's the function that created the outcrops. The rest is just surface coloring, nothing mentionable.

Frank

choronr

Quote from: FrankB on February 24, 2012, 08:30:59 PM

Bob

HI Bob,

but this is it. That's the function that created the outcrops. The rest is just surface coloring, nothing mentionable.

Frank

Thank you Frank. Did you use the 'Strata and outcrops' at their default settings?

bobbystahr

Quote from: choronr on February 24, 2012, 11:18:41 PM
Quote from: FrankB on February 24, 2012, 08:30:59 PM

Bob

HI Bob,

Frank

Thank you Frank. Did you use the 'Strata and outcrops' at their default settings?

No Strata and Outcrops there Bob...just a Shader network to connect to the Displace input of an appropriate Surface shader....works a treat btw...got a river scene if I can figure out how to get my bush population to actually land on the ground not under it
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

choronr

Thanks Bobby, my first thoughts were that those ledges (or outcrops) in the upper part of the scene were part of stratification - they are really impressive. That is why I asked if Frank used the Strata and outcrops at certain settings; or, at default.   

bobbystahr

Quote from: choronr on February 26, 2012, 12:09:36 AM
Thanks Bobby, my first thoughts were that those ledges (or outcrops) in the upper part of the scene were part of stratification - they are really impressive. That is why I asked if Frank used the Strata and outcrops at certain settings; or, at default.   

Here's my first go round with it so far..not too shabby and easy peasey to do if you follow his instructions...which I always do last.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

efflux

I looked at the file. The strata overhangs is simply driven by Perlin via altitude but Frank has put some functions in to enhance it.

I'm going back to try this angle again. The problem is that ideally we'd use a fractal rather than Perlin noise. All the intricacies of the fractal would provide wide variety of strata. Fractal has no choice of position though. Something I've been harping on about lately because I'm running into problems with that.

However, there is another way to create horizontal type strata that I came across by accident. You can horizontally altitude squeeze a voronoi so it's not just stretched on one axis. This is weird though and creates some problems elsewhere on the planet. I think this may be due to warping of positions on my planet. I need to investigate it further To be honest I don't get what I've done. It shouldn't be possible. It isn't in other apps. I haven't posted about this yet because there are some issues.

I've got a stack of things That 'll be posting about. Still working on some artwork though. I'm holding off until I have things better under control then I'll be posting. I don't want to create huge meandering threads of confusion.

dandelO

Efflux, a fractal will automatically use position in texture but you can force it into final position by feeding it into a transform shader and marking the 'use world-space' checkbox.

FrankB

Quote from: efflux on February 26, 2012, 06:45:02 PM
I looked at the file. The strata overhangs is simply driven by Perlin via altitude but Frank has put some functions in to enhance it.

There is absolutely no perlin in this clip.

efflux

Ah. It must have been sine then. I messed around and the clip I was looking at wasn't what it originally was then.

The problem is the same though. Only a fractal will give us the needed strata variety.