Voronoi question...

Started by elipsis1, March 07, 2012, 09:42:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elipsis1

Hello, I'm very new to Terragen 2.  ???

I have seen Voronoi fractals mentioned on quite a few posts.

I assume that this is applied through a clip file?  I don't see any voronoi mentioned when I see the drop down fractals.  (perlin billows, etc)

So how exactly does one try out mathematical functions or import these other fractals?

I see there is a read from text file on a lot of things, how is that done?

Any links or tutorials on this would be great.

Thank you in advance, you have all been very helpful.

red_planet

If you create a function, one of the types is Noise, there are different Voronoi noise functions available there.

I'm not going to pretend to know how to use them, I did months ago but haven't been using TG regularly for a while  :-[ (Too much else to do!!)

As far as I remember though they can be used to modify the colour and displacements.

Plenty of examples in the shared files directory.. look for cracked mud  ;) .

Hope this helps..

Rgds

Chris

Goms

red_planet is right, its a function node.
you need basically 4 nodes for a voronoi noise: a "get position" to get coordinates, two constant scalar for size and seed and the voronoi (diff) itself.
See the screen for a better idea ;)

Best regards,
Sönke
Quote from: FrankB
you're never going to finish this image ;-)

elipsis1

Ok, this is making things a "little" clearer  ;)

So once you build your voronoi function into a node, you can use this as a shader or displacement?

Sorry for all the questions LOL.

Tangled-Universe

The output of the "voronoi 3d diff scalar 01" needs to be connected to the shader input port of a displacement shader or to the displacement input port of a surfacelayer. I mostly prefer to use the first one.

In between you can connect a "colour adjust" node to adjust the greyscale pattern of the voronoi function. You can make it very contrasty then, like cracks.

Since the output of the voronoi function is a greyscale value (either as scalar/colour) you can also use the same output as breakup/blend shader for surface layers so that you can restrict shading/texturing to the bumps of the voronoi.

Lots of stuff to explore! :)

efflux

elipsis1,

It's worth noting here that we don't actually have a voronoi fractal otherwise we might find it in the drop down of the basis functions in the fractal as you mention. The other solutions described here are what we have to do so it's a noise and not a fractal meaning it doesn't have all the octaves and various other permutations that we'd have with a fractal.