Found 20 light years away: the New Earth

Started by Sethren, April 25, 2007, 11:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

old_blaggard

Yeah, I saw that.  I think it's interesting, but it's too bad we don't have a hyperdrive, wormhole drive, or FTL drive (why so many "drive"s?  why not a "walk"?) so I doubt we'll be seeing how liveable it is anytime soon.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Sethren

There are some new telescopes being worked on that are supposed to be capable of analyzing a planet to determine on wither it has a atmosphere capable of sustaining life and also read what type of chemical makeup the planet is made up of.

RealUser

Yap, it was in the newspapers and on TV the whole day. @Old_blaggard: Well, we didn't think that we ever have such gear in which Kirk was always speaking "Scott me up Beamy!" and look what we have now: Mobile phones! Whooohaaa! Just wait  another century and you are there! ;-))) (Assuming that cryogenic becomes more efficient.)
Markus / RealUser
visit my Renderosity Gallery at
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?username=RealUser

Harvey Birdman

Terrific. I wonder how long it'll take us to trash that one.

::)

Cyber-Angel

I think that before mankind sets forth for other worlds beyond our solar system (The Terra System for all Scifi fans out there) we need to learn how to take care of Earth first and live here responsibly before even thinking about going else where, also it is important that Mankind learns how to get along with his fellow man in a manner consistent with a space fairing race, thats what I think any way.

It doesn't necessarily follow that life requires water else where in the Universe, Earth is the only model that science has for life and so assumes that the Earth model is the same every where in the universe, how can this be?

According to classical planetary creation theory which one assumes these people are using the Earth model can only be true every where in the universe if these Earth like planets formed in exactly the same way the earth did, that is to say that its planetary disk form which it formed spun the same way, attracted more or less the same mass of material as Earth etc.

This model would also assume that these Earth like planets formed at roughly the same time as Earth did about 4.6 Billion years ago and have had similar geological processes as Earth.

As to the existence of life on these Extra-Solar Earths (ESE's) this can be done by looking for a Methane spike by analysing the light form  the atmosphere of that planet using the method of Inferred Spectroscopy, Methane can be present without life but it is normally found as a biological byproduct.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel     

helentr

With 5 times the mass of earth (and gravity), it would not be possible for us to live there - weighing almost half a ton ...

Helen

monks

think that before mankind sets forth for other worlds beyond our solar system (The Terra System for all Scifi fans out there) we need to learn how to take care of Earth first and live here responsibly before even thinking about going else where, also it is important that Mankind learns how to get along with his fellow man in a manner consistent with a space fairing race, thats what I think any way.

Agreed.

monks

rcallicotte

Agreed.

Quote from: monks on April 27, 2007, 04:46:48 AM
think that before mankind sets forth for other worlds beyond our solar system (The Terra System for all Scifi fans out there) we need to learn how to take care of Earth first and live here responsibly before even thinking about going else where, also it is important that Mankind learns how to get along with his fellow man in a manner consistent with a space fairing race, thats what I think any way.

Agreed.

monks
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Sethren

It is a nice thought but i have little hope in man. We never learn from history and never seem to come to any agreements on anything. Just look at the 20th century, the most violent century in all of human history. If we are still around by the time we set foot on another earth-like planet we will probably trash that one to. It's just in our fallible human nature to do so. We are so far from perfect.

rcallicotte

Sethren, perhaps what we learn here will lead us out there some day.

That brings up an interesting question (to me, anyway) - The universe is so vast.  Is it possible that as impossible as it seems humans haven't seen everything yet?

Will

yea humanity needs to become aware of our faults and work around them, this will either take an extraordinary leader or a major disaster the only question is which will come first.

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Sethren

Quote from: calico on May 12, 2007, 01:01:17 PM
Sethren, perhaps what we learn here will lead us out there some day.

That brings up an interesting question (to me, anyway) - The universe is so vast.  Is it possible that as impossible as it seems humans haven't seen everything yet?

Perhaps!  I do believe we will get there but our fallible nature will be along for the ride.   ;D

I think we have only touched a tiny fraction of the universe. We are dealing with things that are beyond our understanding most of the time and there will always be something new to discover and learn. What makes the universe a fun place is that we will never run out of things to do nor run out of knowledge to learn.

Will

But we are running out of time.

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

rcallicotte

And to think there are dimensions (infinite?) in the spectrum of the universe...

Quote from: Sethren on May 12, 2007, 04:34:06 PM
Perhaps!  I do believe we will get there but our fallible nature will be along for the ride.   ;D

I think we have only touched a tiny fraction of the universe. We are dealing with things that are beyond our understanding most of the time and there will always be something new to discover and learn. What makes the universe a fun place is that we will never run out of things to do nor run out of knowledge to learn.