SSS river

Started by Dune, April 18, 2012, 03:41:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

It is harder than I thought, but at least I got two rivers merging with the foam following the streams. But strange things still happen, such as the bluish line in the mountains, perpendicular to the rivers.

But it seems I'm getting senile  :-[, as I never encountered this before; with two sets of stones (highest raise) they won't fill a simple riverbed..... huh?

Dune

..... never mind the title...

Dune

I seem to be alone from now on, so I'm going to quit this thread... just one more, as I already quite the merging rivers with the merging foam. Maybe later again. This is just one river, but the fall area needs to be picked carefully or adjusted manually by some painted shader or what.

mhaze

Nice use of the SSS soft triangle - now if we could create a U shaped one?

mhaze

Here's the beginnings of a SSS u shaped valley with a rounded end

Dune

Nice to play with these SimpleSS's....  ;)

mhaze

Yep! :D  It's opened a whole new world. Here's a rounder head of valley.

TheBadger

I would still like to see a few seconds of animation for those rivers. I don't think I have seen an animated river or stream in TG2 before.
It has been eaten.

efflux

Some cool work here.

trailofsevens

I'm fairly new to TG2, I'm just wondering if there's any suggested resources on blue nodes? or can it be approached through trial and error? Are they typically only used for specific things like this, rather than in every project?
Though looking at these images I get a very general idea of how it's done by the explanations given, amazing results :)

Dune

If you're (fairly) new in TG2, you better stay clear of the blue nodes, and get the hang of the program's 'normal' nodes first. That would help you enormously integrating blue nodes later. A little knowledge of maths is very helpful, although for instance the blue node 'multiply color' and the merge shader set to multiply (color) and level 1 are approximately the same, and are easy to understand.
If you have time on your hand, it's nice experimenting with blues though. Find some clipfiles or descriptions of blue nodes on the forum and explore how they work, change them from there until you understand and have what you need (or might perhaps need some day). That's how I proceeded.

trailofsevens

Quote from: Dune on June 26, 2012, 11:44:42 AM
If you're (fairly) new in TG2, you better stay clear of the blue nodes, and get the hang of the program's 'normal' nodes first. That would help you enormously integrating blue nodes later.

Thanks for the suggestions, I've not long finished the Ben McDuff tutorial, that seems an excellent way to start in general. At the moment I'm dissecting other peoples files on the forums which is overwhelming but eye opening. There seems to be quite a big gap between that tutorial and the more advanced stuff like this though, that's why I asked originally.